Experts Bioengineer Nanomaterials to Combat Bacterial Leaf Blight in RiceJuly 20, 2022
Bacterial leaf blight (BLB) is one of the most devastating diseases affecting rice production in China. Climate change and changes in the cultivation system contributed to the resurgence of BLB in major rice areas in the country. This led Professor Li Bin to search for nanomaterials that can help ease the BLB problem in China.
In a previous study, the research team identified the role of nanomaterials in guarding against stresses and summarized their application prospects in rice production. Taking off from the results of that study, the team bioengineered chitosan-iron nanocomposites (BNCs) and assessed their bactericidal activity against Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae (Xoo), which causes BLB. They found that BNCs could effectively impede the activity of Xoo. Thus, BNCs could be used as an alternative and efficient method in plant disease management.Read the news release in ZJU Newsroom and research article in Nanotoday.
You might also like:
- Pocket K No. 39: Nanotechnology in Agriculture
- PennState Scientists Identify Sorghum Genes for Resistance to Anthracnose Leaf Blight
- Blight Disease Resistance of TBR225 Rice Variety
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Gene Drive Webinar: Integrating Social, Economic and Health Aspects Into Decision-making Process
- Nigeria Approves Import of Argentina's HB4 Wheat
- Researchers Discover Gene that Helps Maize Adapt to High Elevations and Cold Temperatures
- Oxitec Completes Friendly™ Fall Armyworm Deployments in Brazil's Top Corn-growing Regions
- Workshop to Explore Policy Considerations for Gene Editing in Asia and Australia
- Scientists Discover Critical Immune Component in Barley
- New Technology Uses Pathogen-Plant Chemical Interactions to Prevent Fungal Attack in Crops
- Experts Bioengineer Nanomaterials to Combat Bacterial Leaf Blight in Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: