FSANZ Rules GM Potatoes Are Safe, Calls the Public to CommentMay 27, 2020
Two genetically modified (GM) potato lines have passed the evaluation of the Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ). They announced that there are no potential public health and safety concerns with the said potatoes.
The two potatoes are derived from Innate potato lines V11 and Z6. The former has reduced acrylamide potential and reduced browning traits (blackspot bruising), while the latter has both traits plus disease resistance to foliar late blight. As both potatoes will be grown overseas, its applicant is seeking approval of foods derived from the GM potatoes, such as potato starch and pre-cooked potato chips.
FSANZ assessed both lines using a range of factors including allergy risks and unintended effects resulting from the potatoes' genetic modification. They ruled out that food from both GM potatoes is as safe for human consumption as conventional potato cultivars. The regulatory body is now calling the public for comments as part of its decision-making process that will determine if the GM potatoes will be welcomed to the market.
Read the media release from FSANZ to find out more.
You might also like:
- FSANZ Says New GM Soybeans Safe, Invites Public for Comments
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden Rice
- FSANZ Releases Final Report on Review of Foods Derived Using New Breeding Techniques
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
- First Human Trial of COVID-19 Vaccine Found Safe and Induces Rapid Immune Response
- Coronavirus Has Two Versions and One is Not More Harmful, Study Finds
News from Around the World
- Study Puts End to Intense Scientific Debate on Peanut's Origin
- Survey Shows Most Australians Don't Know the Difference Between Bacterial and Viral Infections
- FSANZ Rules GM Potatoes Are Safe, Calls the Public to Comment
- Researchers Find Genes to Save Ash Trees from Deadly Beetles
- Genetic Discovery Explains Barley's Sodium Tolerance
- Bumblebees Poke Leaves to Help Flowers Bloom Faster
- Protein Found to Switch on Part of Plant's Drought Defense
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Experts Identify Genome Editing and Other Innovations to Accelerate Food System Transition
Subscribe to CBU: