FAO Director-General Emphasizes Biodiversity's Role to Food SystemsFebruary 26, 2020
Director-General Qu Dongyu of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) stressed on the importance of biodiversity for human beings, stating that it is also fundamental for ecosystems and is the basis of food diversity. He said that agriculture and food systems are the heart of the concept of sustainable development.
This was part of his message during the second meeting of the Open-Ended Working Group established by the Convention on Biological Diversity that FAO is hosting. According to Qu, food is produced in ways that imply some transformation of the environment. Thus, it is important that careful discussions are made about the type and scale of transformations that humans are prepared to accept.
The meeting is part of the series of activities lined-up throughout the year that will lead to the UN Biodiversity Conference in Kunming, China in October 2020. Qu is urging for a robust outcome during the Convention on Biological Diversity negotiations wherein the output will be the Post-2020 Biodiversity Framework and will set the course of the biodiversity for the next 10 years and beyond. The meetings aim to address the growing challenge of global food production to feed 9 billion people by 2050 while avoiding overexploitation of natural resources.
See the news release by FAO for further information.
You might also like:
- FAO Report: Biodiversity Vital for Food and Agriculture Declining Fast
- FAO: Sustainable Agri Requires an Integrated Approach
- FAO Launches New Initiative to Seek Support for Family Farmers
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Director-General Emphasizes Biodiversity's Role to Food Systems
- Svalbard Global Seed Vault Receives Big Seed Deposit from 35 Genebanks
- Uganda's Ministry of Health Officials Urge Government to Pass Biosafety Law
- Researchers Turn to Exotics to Uncover How Corn Can Adapt Faster to New Climates
- Adapting Photosynthesis to Fleeting Shadows Boosts Soybean Yields
- USDA Targets to Halve US Environmental Footprint, Boost Production 40% by 2050
- Biologists Develop Defense to Fight Crop Infections
- Experts Suggest Consideration of Familiarity for ERA of GM Soybeans in Japan
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR Helps Determine Sorghum's Ability to Hide from Plant Pest
- Inheritance Patterns of Transgenes in a Series of CRISPR-Cas9 Soybean Lines
Subscribe to CBU: