Two Gene-Edited Traits for Rice to Increase Productivity for Rice FarmersFebruary 19, 2020
Cibus and Rotam Trait Development Company announced that they have developed two new critical traits for rice which will help provide tolerance to two separate classes of herbicides. According to Cibus, each trait has the promise to increase crop yields and quality for farmers and reduce harmful environmental impacts.
According to Peter Beetham, chief executive officer of Cibus, these advances in rice were done using precision gene editing. He added that they are working on other beneficial traits for rice in the coming years, such as disease resistance, to help farmers improve the efficiency of their land and feed the world's growing population.
Field trials for the traits are planned in 2020.
For more details, read the Cibus news release.
You might also like:
- Gene Editing Used to Develop Vitamin A-fortified Rice
- Rice Plants Engineered for Better Photosynthesis Make More Rice
- Green Super Rice for A Greener Revolution
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Get Instant AgBiotech News on Facebook Messenger
- Researchers Eye Sending Cotton to Space for Genetic Information
- USDA Reports Significant Agri-biotech Progress in the Philippines
- Independent Science-based Regulation Needs Defending from Activists and Community Ignorance
- Scientists Release Most Complete Genetic Map of Spanish Peppers
- Virus Tolerant Citrus Developed Using a Combination of Biotech Tools
- Concentration of Transgenic Protein in Single Events are Comparable with that of Conventionally-bred Stacks
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Two Gene-Edited Traits for Rice to Increase Productivity for Rice Farmers
- Experts Pinpoint Transcription Factors Vital in Rice Caryopsis Filling
- Regional Expert Consultation on Gene Editing in Agriculture and its Regulation
Subscribe to CBU: