Pocket K No. 57: Impact of GM Crops on Soil HealthMay 29, 2019
A healthy agricultural production system cannot exist without healthy soils. Aside from being the habitat of diverse organisms that contribute to carbon sequestration, the soil plays a vital role in food production as well as in climate change mitigation.
Majority of the carbon dioxide present in the atmosphere are contributed by various biological processes that take place in the soil. Carbon sequestration happens when carbon from the atmosphere is absorbed and stored in the soil. This process is vital because the more carbon is stored in the soil, the less carbon dioxide would be present in the atmosphere that contributes to climate change. Thus, restoring degraded soils and adopting soil conservation practices are important to decrease greenhouse gases emitted by agriculture.
With biotech products such as herbicide tolerant crops, conservation practices have been used not just to the farmers' advantage, but also to preserve soil health.
Continue reading the Impact of GM Crops on Soil Health in the ISAAA website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Launches New Initiative to Seek Support for Family Farmers
- Consumers' Attitude Towards GM Food is Based on Their Understanding of the Science Behind It
- Researchers Discover Genetic Regulators for Starch and Protein in Maize
- Scientists Shed New Light on Photosynthetic Supercomplex Structure
- Brazil's CTNBio Gives Commercial Approval to HB4 Soybeans
- Australian OGTR Approves GM Chickpea Field Trial
- Max Planck Society Presents Position on Genome Editing
- Plant Proteins Identified to Play Roles on Cell Protection against Self-Harm
- Study Shows that Nearby Crop Diversity Mediates the Effect of Bt Cotton on Insect Community
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Burger King's New Plant-Based Burger Now Available in Sweden, Soon in Asia
- GM Bacteria Offer Ecological Solution to Synthetic Fertilizer
- Pocket K No. 57: Impact of GM Crops on Soil Health
- CRISPR Technology Market Growing Rapidly
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Targeted Nucleotide Substitution in Rice Blast Fungus
- 14 EU Countries Call for Unified Approach to Gene Editing in Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: