CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Targeted Nucleotide Substitution in Rice Blast FungusMay 29, 2019
Genome editing using CRISPR-Cas9 has been one of the promising techniques used in genetic engineering. Scientists from Meiji University developed a new genome editing strategy via single crossover-mediated homologous recombination in rice blast fungus, which involves the CRISPR-Cas9 system.
With the use of the new technique, highly efficient and freely programmable base substitutions within the desired genomic locus, and target gene disrupted mutants were successfully obtained. Furthermore, the new method allowed one-step GFP gene knock-in at the C-terminus of the targeted gene.
The researchers concluded that the single cross-over mediated genome editing strategy can increase the scope of the genome editing technology.
Read the research article in Scientific Reports.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Launches New Initiative to Seek Support for Family Farmers
- Consumers' Attitude Towards GM Food is Based on Their Understanding of the Science Behind It
- Researchers Discover Genetic Regulators for Starch and Protein in Maize
- Scientists Shed New Light on Photosynthetic Supercomplex Structure
- Brazil's CTNBio Gives Commercial Approval to HB4 Soybeans
- Australian OGTR Approves GM Chickpea Field Trial
- Max Planck Society Presents Position on Genome Editing
- Plant Proteins Identified to Play Roles on Cell Protection against Self-Harm
- Study Shows that Nearby Crop Diversity Mediates the Effect of Bt Cotton on Insect Community
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Burger King's New Plant-Based Burger Now Available in Sweden, Soon in Asia
- GM Bacteria Offer Ecological Solution to Synthetic Fertilizer
- Pocket K No. 57: Impact of GM Crops on Soil Health
- CRISPR Technology Market Growing Rapidly
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Targeted Nucleotide Substitution in Rice Blast Fungus
- 14 EU Countries Call for Unified Approach to Gene Editing in Plants
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: