Public Participates in Golden Rice Consultations in PHJuly 25, 2018
The scheduled public consultations for the field trial of GR2E Golden Rice in the Philippines have been completed. The local government units of Muñoz, Nueva Ecija and San Mateo, Isabela have engaged the public in the consultation on July 18 and 19 to allow community members to ask questions about the proposed field trial and submit their comments to DA-BPI.
Project leader Dr. Reynante Ordonio said, "This empowers the communities to participate responsibly in a critical biosafety decision-making process. The communities will be provided with all the information about the project and Golden Rice, which were also posted in the community's most accessible areas."
The Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) is the government agency that leads the development of Golden Rice in the Philippines. PhilRice applied for a biosafety permit to conduct field trials on February 28, 2017 following the requirements of the Joint Department Circular No. 1 series of 2016.
For more details, read the news release from PhilRice.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Society Needs Radical Adaptation to Attain Nutritional Needs in 2050
- Global Biotech Seeds Market to Grow by 9.87% in 2022
- USDA APHIS Deregulates Herbicide Resistant GE Cotton
- Purdue Study Finds Key to Plant Growth Mechanism
- Iran Starts Labeling GM Food
- Filipino Farmers Losing PHP33.85 Billion Due to Delays in Commercializing Bt Eggplant
- Public Participates in Golden Rice Consultations in PH
- Scientists Restrict Bt Gene Expression in Insect Biting Sites
- Researchers Find New Candidate Genes for Disease Resistance in Tomato
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Edited Tomatoes with Reduced Ethylene Production
- Gene Controlling Megaspore Mitosis in Arabidopsis Found
- FZP Controls Sterile Lemma in Rice Grains
- Organizations, Scientific Leaders Send Open Letter to EC President about Plant Genome Editing
Beyond Crop Biotech
- PsFAD3 Gene Involved in ALA Accumulation in Tree Peonies
- Researchers Develop CRISPR-Cas9 Editing Techniques for Ralstonia eutropha
- Plant Genomics & Gene Editing Congress: USA
- Randy A. Hautea Memorial Fund
- Report Identifies 5 Breakthoughs to Advance Food & Agricultural Research by 2030
- Food Matters: Food Security and The Future Of Food
Subscribe to CBU: