FDA Approves Application for AquaBounty Salmon Facility in Indiana, USAMay 2, 2018
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a supplemental New Animal Drug Application (NADA) submitted by AquaBounty Technologies, Inc. that requests FDA approval to raise AquAdvantage Salmon – a product under an application previously approved in 2015 – at a land-based contained facility near Albany, Indiana.
While the Indiana facility is approved for production, the company is prohibited from importing the eggs necessary for producing genetically engineered (GE) salmon at the facility because of a requirement in FDA's current appropriations law. Under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), the FDA is required to review NADAs for safety and effectiveness. AquaBounty met these and other statutory requirements, so the FDA approved the supplemental application.
For more information, read the update from the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Borlaug Global Rust Initiative Honors Women in Wheat Research
- WEMA Maize Shows Promising Resistance to Fall Armyworm in Mozambique
- Researchers Move Toward Better Understanding of Deadly Citrus Disease
- Cotton Research Goes to Space
- Research Unlocks Rice Gene Diversity for Food Security
- Plant Scientists Boost Malaria Drug Yield in Plant
- Why Grass Cereals Are More Drought-tolerant Than Other Plants
- Europe's Current Approach to Food, Agriculture, and the Environment Not Sustainable, say European National Science Academies
- SlAGL6 Gene is Key to Parthenocarpy in Tomato
- PcWRKY33 Gene from Japanese Knotweed Reduces Salt Tolerance in Transgenic Arabidopsis
- Gene from Wild Peanut Enhances Biotic and Abiotic Resistance in Tobacco
Beyond Crop Biotech
- The Effect of Single Metal Nanoparticles on Transformation Efficiency of Soybean
- FDA Approves Application for AquaBounty Salmon Facility in Indiana, USA
- World Biotechnology Conference
- Wageningen University & Research Releases Booklet on New Plant Breeding Techniques
- CRISPR-Knockout of OsFAD2-1 Gene Improves Rice Bran Oil Health Benefits
- Japanese Researchers Establish New Cas9 Variant
- Early Leaf Senecence and Salt Stress Response Gene Found in Rice
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: