RNAi-mediated Knockdown of GmFAD2-1B Improves Oil Quality in SoybeanFebruary 28, 2018
Soybean oil contains approximately 20% oleic acid and 63% polyunsaturated fatty acids, resulting in poor oxidative stability. Increasing the oleic acid content in soybean seeds can provide improved oxidative stability and is also beneficial to human health.
Endoplasmic reticulum-associated delta-12 fatty acid desaturase 2 (FAD2) is the key enzyme responsible for converting oleic acid precursors to linoleic acid in the lipid biosynthetic pathway. Jing Yang of Jilin Academy of Agricultural Sciences in China used RNAi technology to knockdown the GmFAD2-1B gene in soybean seeds to increase the oleic acid content.
The GmFAD2-1B was significantly downregulated in the seeds of RNAi-knockdown lines. The oleic acid content was also significantly increased from 20% to approximately 80% in the transgenic seeds compared with that in the wild types. The fatty acid profiles also exhibited steady changes in three consecutive generations. Furthermore, total protein and oil contents and agronomic traits of the transgenic lines did not show a significant difference compared with the wild types.
For more information, read the article in Transgenic Research.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- WEMA Gives Hope for Farmers Battling Armyworm in Kenya
- Ghana CSIR Affirms Safety of GM Crops
- Research Reveals New Approach to Improve Nitrogen Use, Enhance Yield, and Promote Flowering in Rice
- Researchers Monitor Photosynthesis in Soybean Using Invisible Light
- Scientists Discover Secret of How to Triple Number of Sorghum Grains
- India Launches Massive Pink Bollworm Awareness Campaign
- Increasing Sugar Yield and Biomass Production in Arabidopsis Discovered by VIB Scientists
- Land Plants Evolved 100 Million Years Earlier than Thought
- Study Shows How Plants Use 'Baits' to Trap Pathogens
- RNAi-mediated Knockdown of GmFAD2-1B Improves Oil Quality in Soybean
- Rice Gene Confers Citrus Canker Resistance to Transgenic Mandarin
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Unlock Genetic Code of the Brightest and Most Vibrant Colors in Nature
- BIO Asia International Conference
- Plants, Genes, and Agriculture Book
- CRISPR-Cas9 Used in Reverse Genetics Studies of Parasponia
- lncRNA1459 Knock-out Alters Tomato Fruit Ripening
- Researchers Apply CRISPR-Cas9 on Cacao Leaves
- Transgenerational CRISPR-Cas9 Induces Multiplex Gene Editing in Wheat
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: