Researchers Study the Function of FRUCTOKINASE-LIKE PROTEIN 1 in Rice Using CRISPR-Cas9January 17, 2018
FRUCTOKINASE-LIKE PROTEINS (FLNs) are phosphofructokinase-B (PfkB)-type carbohydrate kinases that act as part of the PEP complex, which are known to transcribe chloroplast genes. However, the mechanisms underlying FLNs activity in rice remain elusive. Previously, the team of Lei He from China National Rice Research Institute studied a heat-stress sensitive albino mutant in rice, hsa1. Analysis of this mutant revealed that HSA1 gene encodes an OsFLN2 protein.
Using CRISPR-Cas9 technology, the team aimed to prove that knockdown or knockout of the OsFLN1, a homolog of HSA1/OsFLN2, will inhibit chloroplast biogenesis. The fln1 knockout mutants exhibited severe albino phenotype and seedling lethality. Analysis found that OsFLN1 localizes in the chloroplast and that the OsFLN1 and HSA1/OsFLN2 proteins interact with THIOREDOXINZ (OsTRXz) to regulate chloroplast development.
To prove this, OsTRXz knockout plants were developed and it resulted in similar albino and seedling lethal phenotype as the fln1 mutants.
These results show that OsFLN1 and HSA1/OsFLN2 contribute to chloroplast biogenesis and plant growth.
For more on this study, read the article in Journal of Integrative Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Prices of Food Decline in December 2017
- Northern Corn Leaf Blight Genes Now Identified
- US President Donald Trump Mentions Biotechnology at AFBF Convention
- NRGene Reports First-ever Food Potato Genomes
- SABC and ISCI Release "Cotton Bollworm Management Strategy" for India
- Space Age Plant Breeding Paves the Way for Future Crops
- Study Reveals How Climate Change Alters Plant Growth
- Vietnamese Researchers Analyze Function of Arabidopsis ERF8 Expressed in E. coli
- Biofortification of Beta-carotene in Cassava Enhances Provitamin A Content and Shelf Life
- Generating RNA Virus Resistance in Plants by Harnessing the CRISPR Immune System
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Development of Glutinous Rice via CRISPR-Cas9 Mutagenesis in Elite Rice Variety
- Researchers Study the Function of FRUCTOKINASE-LIKE PROTEIN 1 in Rice Using CRISPR-Cas9
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Wearable Sensors to Measure Water Use in Plants
- Indigo Dye from Genetically Engineered Bacteria
- Trending News on Crop Biotech in 2017
Subscribe to CBU: