SABC and ISCI Release "Cotton Bollworm Management Strategy" for IndiaJanuary 17, 2018
The South Asia Biotechnology Centre (SABC), New Delhi and Indian Society for Cotton Improvement (ISCI), Mumbai have released a comprehensive publication on "Cotton Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" during the program on "Management of Pink Bollworm". The event was organized by the Cotton Association of India (CAI), the apex body of cotton sector in the country on January 10, 2018 at Mumbai, Maharashtra. The cotton pink bollworm strategy is authored by Dr. CD Mayee and Bhagirath Choudhary of SABC and was released by Dr. PG Patil, Director of ICAR-Central Institute for Research on Cotton Technology (CIRCOT), Mr. Atul Ganatra, President of CAI, and Sh Suresh Kotak of Kotak & Company.
Cotton growing season of 2017-18 saw an unusual outbreak of pink bollworm (Pectinophera gossypiella) - a monophagous pest, in most of the cotton growing districts of Maharashtra. The rough estimate of incidence varies from 20-60%, resulting in an estimated yield loss of 10-30% in quantity, but much more in quality produce in Kharif 2017-18 season and huge economic losses to farmers particularly in dryland areas of Maharashtra. Hence, effective control of pink bollworm in the ensuing cotton season becomes a topmost priority for all stakeholders engaged in cotton textile sector in India. The "Cotton Pink Bollworm Management Strategy" highlights the nature of the dreaded pest, its life cycle, reasons of resistance development in pink bollworm and nature of symptoms and damage and proposes, farmers' friendly & easy-to-implement, strategies for both pre-cultivation, post-planting and post-harvest of cotton.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Prices of Food Decline in December 2017
- Northern Corn Leaf Blight Genes Now Identified
- US President Donald Trump Mentions Biotechnology at AFBF Convention
- NRGene Reports First-ever Food Potato Genomes
- SABC and ISCI Release "Cotton Bollworm Management Strategy" for India
- Space Age Plant Breeding Paves the Way for Future Crops
- Study Reveals How Climate Change Alters Plant Growth
- Vietnamese Researchers Analyze Function of Arabidopsis ERF8 Expressed in E. coli
- Biofortification of Beta-carotene in Cassava Enhances Provitamin A Content and Shelf Life
- Generating RNA Virus Resistance in Plants by Harnessing the CRISPR Immune System
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Development of Glutinous Rice via CRISPR-Cas9 Mutagenesis in Elite Rice Variety
- Researchers Study the Function of FRUCTOKINASE-LIKE PROTEIN 1 in Rice Using CRISPR-Cas9
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Wearable Sensors to Measure Water Use in Plants
- Indigo Dye from Genetically Engineered Bacteria
- Trending News on Crop Biotech in 2017
Subscribe to CBU: