Vietnamese Researchers Analyze Function of Arabidopsis ERF8 Expressed in E. coliJanuary 17, 2018
Ethylene-responsive factor 8 (ERF8), a member of AP2/ERF superfamily, is one of the transcription factors involved in repression of leaf senescence in plants. Leaf senescence is the final stage of leaf development and involves the mobilization of nutrients from old leaves to newly growing tissue. Regulation of leaf senescence depends on the developmental age of plants, and it is also influenced by various external stimuli.
Studies have shown that combination of ERF8 and ERF4 is key in signaling pathways related to the progression of leaf senescence. However, there were no investigations conducted specifically about ERF8. Therefore, investigating function and interaction of ERF8 is considered an effective strategy to control plant resistance against stress factors.
In a study conducted by Nguyen Thanh Huyen and colleagues, ERF8 was amplified from cDNA of Arabidopsis thaliana by Polymerase Chain Reaction, then cloned into pTZ257R/T vector. This gene then was subcloned into the expression vector pGEX-5X and expressed in Escherichia coli strain BL21. The researchers analyzed the factors and determined the optimal conditions for the expression of ERF8 protein in E. coli train BL21 (at 30oC after 3 hours induction with 0.5 mM IPTG). Finally, ERF8 recombinant protein was purified by affinity chromatography for further studies.
For more information on this study, read the original article in Vietnamese.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Prices of Food Decline in December 2017
- Northern Corn Leaf Blight Genes Now Identified
- US President Donald Trump Mentions Biotechnology at AFBF Convention
- NRGene Reports First-ever Food Potato Genomes
- SABC and ISCI Release "Cotton Bollworm Management Strategy" for India
- Space Age Plant Breeding Paves the Way for Future Crops
- Study Reveals How Climate Change Alters Plant Growth
- Vietnamese Researchers Analyze Function of Arabidopsis ERF8 Expressed in E. coli
- Biofortification of Beta-carotene in Cassava Enhances Provitamin A Content and Shelf Life
- Generating RNA Virus Resistance in Plants by Harnessing the CRISPR Immune System
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Wearable Sensors to Measure Water Use in Plants
- Indigo Dye from Genetically Engineered Bacteria
- Trending News on Crop Biotech in 2017
- Development of Glutinous Rice via CRISPR-Cas9 Mutagenesis in Elite Rice Variety
- Researchers Study the Function of FRUCTOKINASE-LIKE PROTEIN 1 in Rice Using CRISPR-Cas9
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 28, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: