Workshop Discusses Importance of Biotech in Sustainable Agri Dev't in VietnamJanuary 10, 2018
A workshop on Application of Biotechnology: Solutions for Sustainable Agriculture Development was organized by the Vietnam Agriculture and Rural Development Association on December 1, 2017 at Fortuna Hotel, Hanoi.
Speaking at the seminar, Dr. Nguyen Tri Ngoc, Vice President and General Secretary of Vietnam Agriculture and Rural Development Association, emphasized the great role of biotechnology in socio-economic development, as well as improving the lives of farmers and responding to climate change. In the Prime Minister's decision to approve the agricultural restructuring plan, biotechnology applications in agriculture is regarded as a breakthrough solution for the development of agriculture in a comprehensive modern direction. However, Dr. Ngoc explained that the current application of biotechnology is not commensurate with its potential to help meet the demand for agricultural production.
Presenting the importance of biotechnology in agriculture, Prof. Le Huy Ham from the Institute of Agricultural Genetics said that biotechnology helps speed up the seed production, thereby increasing labor productivity and reducing costs. Biotech crops are resistant to pests, herbicides, can tolerate stressful conditions, produce good yields, hence reducing the use of plant protection chemicals, protecting the environment, ensuring food security and adapting to climate change.
The workshop attendees include representatives of enterprises in Vietnam who have been researching and applying biotechnology in agricultural production such as Veterinary Medicine Pharmaceutical Joint Stock Company (HANVET), Syngenta Group, and Nam Hung Group.
For more information, read the original article in Vietnamese.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Team of International Scientists Unlocks Peanut's Genetic Code
- IITA Begins Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Cassava
- Global Research Team Identifies Pathogen Gene that Wheat Plants Detect to ‘Switch On' Resistance
- Salk Scientists Discover Unusual Immune Response of Plants to Bacterial Infection
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism that Could Enhance Yield of Cereal Crops
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden Rice
- European Commission Authorizes Six GM Crops for Food and Feed
- TaHDZipI-5 Involved in Drought and Frost Tolerance in Wheat
- Plastocyanin Gene from Seepweed Improves Oxidative Stress Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Overexpression of PaFKBP12 in Arabidopsis Enhances Tolerance to Multiple Stresses
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in Rice
- Genome Editing of CLAVATA Genes in Canola Regulates Multilocular Silique Development
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Find Gene Involved in Arsenic Resistance in Poplar
From the BICs
- Workshop Discusses Importance of Biotech in Sustainable Agri Dev't in Vietnam
- ISAAA Blog: How Filipino News Writers Define Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: