ISAAA Blog: How Filipino News Writers Define BiotechnologyJanuary 10, 2018
Science news writers usually define technical terms to make the readers understand the content of their articles. The choice of words, as well as definition of concepts, often has influence on how audiences respond to biotech stories.
The study Seventeen Years of Media Reportage of Modern Biotechnology in the Philippines, published in the April 2017 issue of the Philippine Journal of Crop Science, found that Filipino news writers define modern biotechnology differently, but most of them do not define it at all.
Continue reading at the ISAAA blog.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Team of International Scientists Unlocks Peanut's Genetic Code
- IITA Begins Confined Field Trials of Transgenic Cassava
- Global Research Team Identifies Pathogen Gene that Wheat Plants Detect to ‘Switch On' Resistance
- Salk Scientists Discover Unusual Immune Response of Plants to Bacterial Infection
- Researchers Find Genetic Mechanism that Could Enhance Yield of Cereal Crops
- FSANZ Releases Approval Report for Food Derived from Golden Rice
- European Commission Authorizes Six GM Crops for Food and Feed
- TaHDZipI-5 Involved in Drought and Frost Tolerance in Wheat
- Plastocyanin Gene from Seepweed Improves Oxidative Stress Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Overexpression of PaFKBP12 in Arabidopsis Enhances Tolerance to Multiple Stresses
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Scientists Use CRISPR-Cas9 Technology to Improve Drought and Salt Tolerance in Rice
- Genome Editing of CLAVATA Genes in Canola Regulates Multilocular Silique Development
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Find Gene Involved in Arsenic Resistance in Poplar
From the BICs
- Workshop Discusses Importance of Biotech in Sustainable Agri Dev't in Vietnam
- ISAAA Blog: How Filipino News Writers Define Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: