The Roles of B-BOX Genes in PearsNovember 2, 2017
The B-BOX (BBX) proteins play important functions in regulating plant growth and development. In plants, the BBX gene family has been identified in several plants, such as rice, Arabidopsis, and tomato. However, there is still a need for a genome-wide study of BBX genes in pear (Pyrus bretschneideri).
The team of Yunpeng Cao from the Anhui Agricultural University in China identified and characterized 25 BBX genes in pear. The transcript analysis revealed that twelve PbBBX genes were specifically expressed only in pear pollen tubes. Further analysis also indicated that both PbBBX4 and PbBBX13 have potential roles in pear fruit development, while PbBBX5 in involved in the senescence of pear pollen tube.
This study provides a genome-wide study of the BBX gene family as well as their roles in both pear fruits and pollen tubes. These findings will be useful in studying the complexity of BBX gene family.
For more information, read the article in BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenyan Stakeholders Prepare for Commercialization of Bt Cotton
- Pumpkin Genome Sequence Now Available
- USDA APHIS Announces Availability of Petition for Deregulation of GE Cotton
- Scientists Engineer Cowpea to Produce Bt Protein Against Maruca Pod Borer
- Pampanga Stakeholders Get Updates on Biotech and Biosafety Regulations in PH
- Scientists from China Develop Rice that Can Grow in Seawater
- Scientists Develop Late Blight Resistant Potato
- AtFC1 Overexpression Confers Plant Tolerance to Cadmium Toxicity
- Potassium Transporter OsHAK1 Regulates Responses to Drought Stress in Rice
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Generation of Parthenocarpic Tomato Plants using CRISPR-Cas9
- Smallholder Farmers to Gain from Gene Editing Technology
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Drought Resistant Jojoba to Help Grow New Forests
- Water Buffalo Genome Sequenced
- The Roles of B-BOX Genes in Pears
From the BICs
- Agri Info Officers Trained on Agri Storytelling on Social Media
Subscribe to CBU: