Pampanga Stakeholders Get Updates on Biotech and Biosafety Regulations in PHNovember 2, 2017
The latest biosafety regulatory guidelines in the Philippines, the Joint Department Circular (JDC), was presented to around 200 key stakeholders from Region III such as farmers, Department of Agriculture (DA) information officers, regulators, members of the academe (students and faculty from various universities), and constituents of local government units of selected municipalities in the region. The event, Biotechnology 101 & Joint Department Circular (JDC) Public Briefing, was held on October 27, 2017 at Hotel Stotsenberg, Clark, Pampanga.
Aside from the new regulations, the science, food and environmental safety, actual and potential socioeconomic benefits, and current and upcoming products of modern crop biotech in the Philippines, were also discussed by experts. These include biotech scientists and experts as well as representatives from the concerned government agencies of the JDC. The open forum clarified concerns on the safety of biotech crops, popularizing biotech, and research and production of local biotech crops. Participants from the academe expressed the need for conduct of more local research on biotech, while farmers recognized the potential benefits that crop biotech can deliver.
The activity was organized by ISAAA, the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture-Biotechnology Information Center (SEARCA BIC), Department of Agriculture (DA)-Biotechnology Program Office, and DA-Regional Field Office III.
For more updates on biotech in the Philippines, visit the SEARCA BIC website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Kenyan Stakeholders Prepare for Commercialization of Bt Cotton
- Pumpkin Genome Sequence Now Available
- USDA APHIS Announces Availability of Petition for Deregulation of GE Cotton
- Scientists Engineer Cowpea to Produce Bt Protein Against Maruca Pod Borer
- Pampanga Stakeholders Get Updates on Biotech and Biosafety Regulations in PH
- Scientists from China Develop Rice that Can Grow in Seawater
- Scientists Develop Late Blight Resistant Potato
- AtFC1 Overexpression Confers Plant Tolerance to Cadmium Toxicity
- Potassium Transporter OsHAK1 Regulates Responses to Drought Stress in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Drought Resistant Jojoba to Help Grow New Forests
- Water Buffalo Genome Sequenced
- The Roles of B-BOX Genes in Pears
From the BICs
- Agri Info Officers Trained on Agri Storytelling on Social Media
- Generation of Parthenocarpic Tomato Plants using CRISPR-Cas9
- Smallholder Farmers to Gain from Gene Editing Technology
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: