The Strawberry FaTPK1 Plays a Critical Role in Fruit Quality FormationOctober 18, 2017
Potassium, an abundant cation in plant cells, is important in fruit development and plant resistance. However, how cellular potassium is directed by potassium channels in fruit development and quality formation of strawberry (Fragaria ananassa) is relatively unclear. Shufang Wang from China Agricultural University aimed to study this channel.
The team focused on a two-pore potassium (TPK) channel gene in strawberry, FaTPK1. Analysis showed that FaTPK1 is localized in the vacuole membrane. A transcription analysis also indicated that the expression level of FaTPK1 increased rapidly and was maintained at a high level in ripened fruit, suggesting that FaTPK1 is related to fruit quality formation.
The downregulation of FaTPK1 inhibited fruit ripening while overexpression of FaTPK1 promoted fruit ripening. This was demonstrated by the changes in firmness and the contents of soluble sugars, anthocyanin, and abscisic acid, as well as the transcript levels of ripening-regulated genes.
Thus, the strawberry TPK1 plays important roles in fruit ripening and quality formation.
For more information on this study, read the article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Hunger Index Shows Long-term Decline But Level Remains High
- Golden Rice to Lead the Way in Producing Healthier Rice Varieties
- Biotechnology a Key Part of Uganda's Food Security Strategy
- ITIF, Independent Scientists Call on US Interior Secretary to Reverse Policy Against GM Seeds
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for Commercial Release of GM Safflower
- Found: Gene to Help Hybrid Wheat Breeding
- Amazonian Farmers Discovered Secret to Wild Rice Domestication 4,000 Years Ago
- Overexpression of BjHMGS1 Improves Health-Promoting Compounds in Tomato Fruit
- The Strawberry FaTPK1 Plays a Critical Role in Fruit Quality Formation
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Targeted Mutagenesis in Seedless Grapes
- Discovery of MPK Roles in Rice by Characterizing CRISPR-Edited Mutants
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Discover a Gene that Makes Fungi Pathogenic
- Zygote injection of CRISPR-Cas9 Modifies the Target Gene without Unwanted Effects in Pigs
- IPBO Fact Series on Cotton and Maize in Africa
- Updated Pocket Ks on Benefits of GM Crops
Subscribe to CBU: