Golden Rice to Lead the Way in Producing Healthier Rice VarietiesOctober 18, 2017
Precision agriculture, including GM crops, provides the tools to assist for macronutrients yield, climate change adaption, and other unfavorable growing conditions, as well as malnutrition. Adrian Dubock of the Golden Rice Humanitarian Board presented Golden Rice as an example of a product of precision agriculture that has a huge potential to improve micronutrient intake, especially in areas with high prevalence of vitamin A deficiency (VAD). The review article is published in Agriculture and Food Security journal.
According to the article, the first challenge for the Golden Rice project is to enable managed adoption in rice-consuming population with high incidences of VAD. "For the Golden Rice in the mega-rice varieties (IR64, IR36, BR29 and PSB Rc82) carrying the GR2E transformation event, it is time for scientists and rice breeders to 'pass the baton' to rice seed multipliers, to extension workers, to public health educators, to those responsible for children and women, for school meals services, and to health and welfare professionals. Hopefully, philanthropy will not be so bored and exhausted by the past 17 years, that they may assist in catalyzing this Golden Rice adoption work," says Dubock in his article. He also predicts that in the long run, other micronutrient traits will be combined with beta-carotene to produce multi-vitamin and multi-mineral rice.
Read more from Agriculture and Food Security.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Hunger Index Shows Long-term Decline But Level Remains High
- Golden Rice to Lead the Way in Producing Healthier Rice Varieties
- Biotechnology a Key Part of Uganda's Food Security Strategy
- ITIF, Independent Scientists Call on US Interior Secretary to Reverse Policy Against GM Seeds
- Australian OGTR Receives Application for Commercial Release of GM Safflower
- Found: Gene to Help Hybrid Wheat Breeding
- Amazonian Farmers Discovered Secret to Wild Rice Domestication 4,000 Years Ago
- Overexpression of BjHMGS1 Improves Health-Promoting Compounds in Tomato Fruit
- The Strawberry FaTPK1 Plays a Critical Role in Fruit Quality Formation
Plant Breeding Innovations
- CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Targeted Mutagenesis in Seedless Grapes
- Discovery of MPK Roles in Rice by Characterizing CRISPR-Edited Mutants
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Discover a Gene that Makes Fungi Pathogenic
- Zygote injection of CRISPR-Cas9 Modifies the Target Gene without Unwanted Effects in Pigs
- IPBO Fact Series on Cotton and Maize in Africa
- Updated Pocket Ks on Benefits of GM Crops
Subscribe to CBU: