MsmiR156 Improves Nitrogen Fixation in AlfalfaJuly 5, 2017
Scientists from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) reported that microRNA156 (miR156) affects gene expression and promotes root regenerative capacity and nitrogen fixation activity in alfalfa. The results are published in Transgenic Research journal.
In a previous study, the researchers from AAFC generated alfalfa plants that overexpress homologous miR156 (MsmiR156OE) and found three of its SPL target genes. The plants showed improved yield, delayed flowering, and longer roots. In the recent study, they aimed to understand the effect of miR156 on the root system, particularly on nodulation and nitrogen fixation.
Results revealed that MsmiR156 overexpression promotes root regeneration capacity in alfalfa, however with low influence on root biomass during the early stage of root development. It also improves nitrogen fixation activity by upregulating expression of nitrogenase-related genes. Furthermore, expression analysis showed that miR156 affects the genes involved in nodulation, root development, and phytohormone biosynthesis.
Based on the results, miR156 could be used as a tool in genetic improvement of alfalfa and possibly other important crops.
Read the research article in Transgenic Research.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Number of Hungry People Increases Again, FAO
- Improved Cassava Varieties to Ease Hunger in Africa
- Research Reveals Plant Volatiles Released Deliberately
- Plant Hormone Cytokinin Found to Regulate Plant Growth and Development
- Scientists Find Plants Have Unique Gene Expression Networks to Cold and Drought
- Chinese Scientists Develop High Antioxidant Purple Rice thru Genetic Engineering
- Research Identifies Genetic Markers to Unlock Diastatic Power of Barley
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion of Renewal for Continued Marketing of maize 59122
- Plants Use Hydrogen Peroxide as Protection Against the Sun
- MsmiR156 Improves Nitrogen Fixation in Alfalfa
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Cotton Transgenic Gene for Red Fluorescence Excised with Precision thru CRISPR-Cas9
- 50th AIFST Convention
- GPMB 2017
- NAS Book: Preparing for Future Products of Biotechnology
- New Book: Genetically Modified Organisms in Developing Countries: Regulation and Governance
Subscribe to CBU: