EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion of Renewal for Continued Marketing of maize 59122July 5, 2017
The European Food Safety Authority's (EFSA) Panel on Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO Panel) released the scientific opinion on an application for renewal of authorization for continued marketing of maize 59122 and derived food and feed submitted under articles 11 and 23 of Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 by Pioneer Overseas Corporation and Dow AgroSciences LLC.
The scope of the application is for food and feed uses, import and processing, but excludes cultivation within the European Union (EU). The GMO Panel assessed the data submitted for the renewal of application for possible new hazards, modified exposure or new scientific uncertainties identified during the authorization period and not previously assessed in the context of the original application.
Under the assumption that maize 59122 is identical to the originally assessed event, the GMO Panel concludes that no new hazards or modified exposure and no new scientific uncertainties were identified that would change the conclusions of the original risk assessment on maize 59122.
For more information, the complete scientific opinion is available at the EFSA Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Number of Hungry People Increases Again, FAO
- Improved Cassava Varieties to Ease Hunger in Africa
- Research Reveals Plant Volatiles Released Deliberately
- Plant Hormone Cytokinin Found to Regulate Plant Growth and Development
- Scientists Find Plants Have Unique Gene Expression Networks to Cold and Drought
- Chinese Scientists Develop High Antioxidant Purple Rice thru Genetic Engineering
- Research Identifies Genetic Markers to Unlock Diastatic Power of Barley
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion of Renewal for Continued Marketing of maize 59122
- Plants Use Hydrogen Peroxide as Protection Against the Sun
- MsmiR156 Improves Nitrogen Fixation in Alfalfa
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Cotton Transgenic Gene for Red Fluorescence Excised with Precision thru CRISPR-Cas9
- 50th AIFST Convention
- GPMB 2017
- NAS Book: Preparing for Future Products of Biotechnology
- New Book: Genetically Modified Organisms in Developing Countries: Regulation and Governance
Subscribe to CBU: