Improvement of Salt Tolerance in Tobacco via Overexpression of TaFBA1 Gene from WheatMay 17, 2017
The F-box protein is a major subunit of the Skp1-Cullin-F-box (SCF) complex. The team of Zhongxian Zhao from Shandong Agricultural University had previously isolated an F-box gene from wheat, TaFBA1. The team now aims to know if overexpression of TaFBA1 in tobacco plants can improve its salt stress tolerance.
The transgenic tobacco plants overexpressing TaFBA1 exhibited increases in germination rate, root elongation, and biomass accumulation under salt stress. Improvements in the photosynthetic rate and related parameters were also found in the transgenic plants. These suggest that overexpression of TaFBA1 can improve salt stress tolerance.
Furthermore, the transgenics also displayed less membrane damage, higher antioxidant enzyme activity, and less accumulation of ROS under salt stress. The transgenic plants also had lower Na+ content and higher K+ content than WT plants in leaves and roots.
This shows that the enhancement of plant salt stress tolerance may be associated with an improvement in antioxidative competition.
For more on the study, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- USDA APHIS Extends Comment Period for Nonregulated Status GM Canola
- Obama Talks about Benefits of Agri-biotech
- Competition Turns On Plant Genes
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Sorghum
- Indian Farmers May Soon Adopt Indigenously Developed Insect Resistant Cotton
- India's GEAC Approves GM Mustard for Commercial Planting
- DEFRA Approves GM Potato Field Trials
- Overexpression of Galactinol Synthase Gene Improves Drought Tolerance in Rice
- Improvement of Salt Tolerance in Tobacco via Overexpression of TaFBA1 Gene from Wheat
- Researchers Show How Sugarcane Produces More Sucrose
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Oxitec Develops GE Moths to Vegetable Pest
- TALEN-Mediated Knock-in Genome Editing in Silkworm
- Biotech Crop Highlights in 2016
- Researchers Study Type III-A CRISPR-Cas System as DNA Targeting Modules
- Cell Penetrating Peptide-Mediated Delivery of CRISPR-Cas System
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 1, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: