Overexpression of Galactinol Synthase Gene Improves Drought Tolerance in RiceMay 17, 2017
Enhancing drought tolerance without grain yield penalty has been a challenge for plant breeders and crop improvement. A team of researchers from the International Center for Tropical Agriculture in Colombia, and various universities and research institutions in Japan evaluated the Arabidopsis thaliana galactinol synthase 2 gene (AtGolS2). The team overexpressed the gene in rice (Oryza sativa) to confer drought tolerance and increase grain yield under dry conditions.
The developed transgenic lines had higher levels of galactinol than non-transgenic plants. The transgenics also had increased grain yield under drought conditions, which is related to the higher number of panicles, grain fertility, and biomass. Extensive confined field trials of the transgenic lines across two seasons revealed that the lines have the proven field drought tolerance. The drought tolerance was found to be associated with a higher relative water content of leaves, higher photosynthesis activity, lesser reduction in plant growth and faster recovering ability.
These provide strong evidence that AtGolS2 is can be a useful tool to reduce grain yield losses in rice under field drought stress.
For more on the study, read the full article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- USDA APHIS Extends Comment Period for Nonregulated Status GM Canola
- Obama Talks about Benefits of Agri-biotech
- Competition Turns On Plant Genes
- Australian OGTR Invites Comments for Field Trial of GM Sorghum
- Indian Farmers May Soon Adopt Indigenously Developed Insect Resistant Cotton
- India's GEAC Approves GM Mustard for Commercial Planting
- DEFRA Approves GM Potato Field Trials
- Overexpression of Galactinol Synthase Gene Improves Drought Tolerance in Rice
- Improvement of Salt Tolerance in Tobacco via Overexpression of TaFBA1 Gene from Wheat
- Researchers Show How Sugarcane Produces More Sucrose
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Researchers Study Type III-A CRISPR-Cas System as DNA Targeting Modules
- Cell Penetrating Peptide-Mediated Delivery of CRISPR-Cas System
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Oxitec Develops GE Moths to Vegetable Pest
- TALEN-Mediated Knock-in Genome Editing in Silkworm
- Biotech Crop Highlights in 2016
Subscribe to CBU: