High-yielding Biotech Seeds to Help Filipino Farmers to Export CornApril 26, 2017
The Philippine government was urged to promote high-yielding biotech corn seeds to boost production and enable farmers to export. This call was given by Monsanto Philippines Commercial Lead, Rachelle Lomibao during an interview after the launch of the company's new hybrid corn variety, Dekalb 6999S.
She stressed that expanding the use of modern technology will help the government achieve its target of exporting corn soon. The Department of Agriculture projects that the Filipino farmers will be able to export corn this year due to the surplus of corn. However, Lomibao said that exporting corn may not occur yet in the current year due to the gap between the supply and demand.
"If you just increase the yield average per hectare then you don't have to increase the number of hectares to be planted with corn. You just increase productivity per hectare and that's not impossible," said Lomibao. She added that aside from high-yielding seeds, other factors such as fertilization, correct agronomic practices, and proper management of resources should be considered in exporting corn.
Read the original article in Business Mirror. For more information about high-yielding biotech corn seeds, visit the Monsanto Philippines website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Updates on GM Crop Field Trials in Malawi
- African Women in Biosciences Call for Supportive Policies on Biotechnology
- FDA Extends Comment Period for Gene-edited Plants
- Research Team Identifies Genetic Target for Growing Hardier Plants Under Stress
- Gene that Influences Grain Yield Discovered
- High-yielding Biotech Seeds to Help Filipino Farmers to Export Corn
- Most Accurate and Complete Wheat Genome to Date Has Been Released
- OsCOL16 Represses Flowering in Rice
- Scientists Investigate Metabolic Changes in Genetic Modification of Resveratrol-enriched Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- New CRISPR Tool May Help Prevent Worst Genetic Diseases
- Researchers Release Genome Sequence of Green Microalga
- Online Course on Plant Breeding for Drought Tolerance
- The Regulatory Implications of New Breeding Technologies
- Targeted Mutagenesis in Cotton using CRISPR-Cas9
- CRISPR-Cas9 Genome Editing in Polyploid Oilseed Rape
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: