US FDA Approves DIY Genetic Test KitMay 10, 2017
The U.S. Food and Drug administration approved the use of home genetics test kits to determine a person's risk for genetics-based diseases. The DIY kit developed by 23andMe can test for 10 genetic diseases including Parkinson's and Alzheimers. The company initially offered a DNA testing kit that was designed to describe a person's risk for 240 diseases but FDA discontinued the service in 2013 because of safety and efficacy reasons. The new test kit for 10 genetic diseases will be available in the coming months.
Read more from Nature.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- ISAAA Presents 2016 Annual Report on GM Crops Adoption in Beijing
- Kenyan Maize and Cotton Farmers Petition for Bt Maize and Bt Cotton Seeds
- International Consortium Releases Barley Genome Sequence
- Study Finds Unexpected Strategy to Delay or Reverse Evolution of Resistance by Pests to GM Crops
- Brazil Leads the Developing Countries in GM Crop Adoption
- US Gov't Plans to Counter ‘Misinformation' on Agri-biotech Products
- In Future Climates, Modified Soybeans Yield More
- Wheat Multipathogen Resistance Gene Confers Anthracnose and Rust Resistance in Sorghum
- CaDIR1 Gene Regulates the Drought Stress Response in Pepper
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Development of Canker-Resistant Citrus through CRISPR-Cas9 Editing of Susceptibility Gene Promoter
Beyond Crop Biotech
- US FDA Approves DIY Genetic Test Kit
- Tea Tree Genome Reveals Insights on Its Flavor, Evolution of Caffeine Biosynthesis
- Pioneering Women in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Biotechnology
- Engineering Our Food: A Discussion of Genetically Modified Foods
- Watch the First Commercial Arctic® Apple Trees Being Planted
Subscribe to CBU: