Scientists Investigate Effects of GE Maize on Arthropod Food WebsMarch 15, 2017
Scientists from Szent István University, Hungary, and partners tested GE maize varieties and their non-GE counterparts to determine if genetic engineering has an impact on the structure of arthropod food webs. Their study is published in Ecology and Evolution journal.
Based on the trophic groups' number and the links between them, neither the higher magnitude of Bt toxins (included resistance against insect, and against both insects and glyphosate) nor the extra glyphosate treatment changed the structure of food webs.
Differences in the average trophic links/trophic groups were observed between GM and non-GM food webs for herbivore groups and plants, as well as differences in characteristic path lengths between GM and non-GM food webs for herbivores. However, these differences do not detrimentally alter the arthropod food webs.
Read the research article for more information.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Religious Leaders in Uganda Learn about New Agricultural Technologies
- Ethiopian Environment Minister Promotes Biotech to Address Food and Economic Challenges
- US Joins the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- Cornell University Professor Advocates Consumption of GMOs
- University of Arizona Scientist Develops Aflatoxin-free Corn Using RNA from Fungus
- Benefits of Plant Science to ASEAN's Smallholder Farmers Highlighted at Jakarta Forum
- Indian Universities Develop Bt Cotton Varieties with Reusable Seeds
- Agricultural Academy of Japan Proposes Conduct of Confined Field Trial of GM Crops
- Scientists Investigate Effects of GE Maize on Arthropod Food Webs
- Citrus Psorosis Virus Coat Protein-derived Construct Confers Resistance in Citrus against Psorosis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tilapia Fish Holds Genetic Key to Salt Tolerance
- ESF Scientists Develop Transgenic American Chestnut Trees
- Voices and Views: Messages to the Public
- The Petri Dish Goes Online
- CRISPR/Cas9-based Gene Knockout in Watermelon
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: