Italian Scientists Search for Genes Involved in Carotenoid Synthesis in WheatFebruary 8, 2017
Carotenoids play an important role in plant photosynthesis and photo-oxidative protection, and are the precursors of vitamin A. In wheat, carotenoids influence the color of the grain. Understanding the genetic basis of grain yellow pigments, and identifying associated markers can provide the basis for improving wheat quality.
Pasqualina Colasuonno of the University of Bari ‘Aldo Moro' in Italy used comparative genomics to identify 24 candidate genes involved in the synthesis and catabolism of carotenoids. The team also performed genome-wide association study based on genotyping a tetraploid wheat collection. This GWAS validated previously detected quantitative trait loci (QTLs) and also discovered new QTLs for grain color-related traits. Ten carotenoid genes were mapped in regions underlying pigment content QTLs, indicating possible functional relationships between the candidate genes and the trait.
The availability of linked, candidate gene-based markers can facilitate breeding of wheat cultivars with desirable levels of carotenoids. Identifying QTLs linked to carotenoid pigmentation can contribute to understanding genes underlying carotenoid accumulation in the wheat kernels.
For more on this study, read the article in BMC Genomics.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Scientists Make Genetic Recipe for Tastier Tomatoes
- Kenyan Farmers Urge the Gov't to Release WEMA Bt Maize Amid Ravaging Drought
- Scientists Find Diversity Blueprint to Help Maize Adapt to Changing Climates
- Geneticists Develop New Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus Resistance Genetic Markers
- Researchers Sequence Pitcher Plant Genome to Elucidate Plant Carnivory
- Indonesian Farmers are Ready to Adopt Biotech Corn
- Research on Mosses Provides Better Understanding of Plant Cell Biology
- Italian Scientists Search for Genes Involved in Carotenoid Synthesis in Wheat
- Rothamsted Research Granted Permission by Defra to Conduct GM Wheat Field Trials
- Plant Ferredoxin-like Protein Expression Improves Photosynthesis in Rice
- Researchers Identify Candidate Gene for Compact Plant Architecture in Cucumber
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Tuberculosis Resistant Cows Produced Using CRISPR-Cas9n
- Gene-editing May Lower Risk of Heart Disease
- Researchers Develop MISSA 2.0 for Assembly of Orthogonal CRISPR/Cas Systems
- Development of Gene-Specific Rice Mutants via AvrXa23-based TALENs
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (October 4, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: