TALEN-mediated Mutagenesis of COMT in Sugarcane Improves Cell Wall Decomposition for Ethanol ProductionNovember 9, 2016
Advanced biofuel conversion technology uses sucrose from stems as well as cell wall-bound sugars from sugarcane (Saccharum spp.) for ethanol production. Although the process is relatively efficient, reduction of lignin content can still significantly improve the conversion of plant biomass into ethanol.
Conventional mutagenesis is not expected to confer reduction in lignin content in sugarcane due to its high polyploidy. Hence, the team of Hui Zhang of the Chinese Academy of Sciences used transcription activator-like effector nuclease (TALEN) to induce mutations in a highly conserved region of the caffeic acid O-methyltransferase (COMT) of sugarcane.
Targeted COMT mutations were identified in up to 74% of the lines. Mutation frequencies among the mutant lines were found to be positively correlated to lignin reduction. Events with mutations displayed a 29–32% reduction of the lignin content compared to controls.
Further analysis displayed similar peak patterns between primary COMT mutants and their vegetative progenies, suggesting that TALEN-mediated mutations can be transmitted via vegetative progenies. This is the first report on genome editing in sugarcane.
For more information, read the article in Plant Molecular Biology.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Gene Network Controls Number of Flowers and Fruits During Critical Growth Window in Plants
- Study Reveals Public Perceptions of Genetically Engineered Nutraceuticals
- Scientists Identify Molecular Conductors that Help Plants Respond to Drought
- Science Education Highlighted in World Life Science Conference
- Japanese Researchers Decode Japanese Morning Glory Genome
- USDA Releases Updates on Agri-biotech in Italy and France
- Plant Roots See Light in the Dark
- Rothamsted Research Submits Application to Conduct GM Wheat Field Trial
- Survey Shows Two Thirds of Public Supports GM Crops
- ZmCCT-associated QTL Regulates Flowering and Stress Responses under Long-Day Conditions
- Overexpression of Tomato Gene Impacts Agronomic Traits via Regulation of Gibberellin and Auxin Homeostasis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Fungus Genome Assembled Using Nanopore-Generated Reads
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Mutagenesis in Physcomitrella patens
- BIO Asia International Conference
- TALEN-mediated Mutagenesis of COMT in Sugarcane Improves Cell Wall Decomposition for Ethanol Production
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 27, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: