Fungus Genome Assembled Using Nanopore-Generated ReadsNovember 9, 2016
Researchers from Keygene have assembled the genome of the fungus Rhizoctonia solani using only nanopore-generated reads. Keygene scientists led by Martin de Vos used Oxford Nanopore Technologies' MinIon to generate a 54 megabase genome sequence for R. solani, a soil-borne pathogen causing diseases in major crops including maize, rice, and soybean.
The Oxford Nanopore MinIon produced 77,800 2D pass reads, translated to 834 megabases, and an average read length of 10.7 kilobases. The new assembly is the most contiguous R. solani assembly, according to the researchers. It is also the largest published genome assembly from only nanopore reads.
For more, read the preprint available at BioRxiv.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Gene Network Controls Number of Flowers and Fruits During Critical Growth Window in Plants
- Study Reveals Public Perceptions of Genetically Engineered Nutraceuticals
- Scientists Identify Molecular Conductors that Help Plants Respond to Drought
- Science Education Highlighted in World Life Science Conference
- Japanese Researchers Decode Japanese Morning Glory Genome
- USDA Releases Updates on Agri-biotech in Italy and France
- Plant Roots See Light in the Dark
- Rothamsted Research Submits Application to Conduct GM Wheat Field Trial
- Survey Shows Two Thirds of Public Supports GM Crops
- ZmCCT-associated QTL Regulates Flowering and Stress Responses under Long-Day Conditions
- Overexpression of Tomato Gene Impacts Agronomic Traits via Regulation of Gibberellin and Auxin Homeostasis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Fungus Genome Assembled Using Nanopore-Generated Reads
- CRISPR-Cas9-mediated Mutagenesis in Physcomitrella patens
- BIO Asia International Conference
- TALEN-mediated Mutagenesis of COMT in Sugarcane Improves Cell Wall Decomposition for Ethanol Production
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: