Scientists Analyze Phytoene Synthase 1 Gene Function in WheatOctober 26, 2016
Phytoene synthase 1 (PSY1) is the most important regulatory enzyme in carotenoid biosynthesis. However, its function in common wheat (Triticum aestivum) is unknown. Chinese researchers, led by Shengnan Zhai of the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, investigated the function and regulation of Psy1 using reverse genetics.
Transcript levels of Psy1 in RNAi transgenic lines were decreased and their yellow pigment content (YPC) was significantly reduced compared with controls, confirming its role in carotenoid accumulation. The team also observed a set of candidate genes involved in secondary pathways and core metabolic processes that responded to Psy1 downregulation. Further analysis revealed that the aspartate rich domain was important for Psy1 function, with the conserved nucleotides next to the domain influence YPC by regulating gene expression, enzyme activity or alternative splicing.
These results reveal key aspects of flour color regulation in wheat and facilitate the genetic improvement of wheat quality in terms of color and/or nutritional specifications.
For more information, read the article in BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Team of Scientists Reveals How Plants Turn Light Switch On and Off
- Biofortification Scientists Awarded with 2016 World Food Prize in Des Moines
- Benefits of 20 Years of GE Crops in Canada
- Asian Scientists and Stakeholders Prepare for MOP 8
- New Act Lifts Moratorium on GM Crop Planting in Western Australia
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion for Market Release of GM Cotton GHB119
- Researchers Identify Gene that Influences Plant Root Development
- Scientists Identify Corn Genes in Charge of Calling for Help
- Scientists Analyze Phytoene Synthase 1 Gene Function in Wheat
- Cyanobacterial Flavodoxin Overexpression Confers Abiotic Resistance in Creeping Bentgrass
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Targeted Mutagenesis of P450 Gene Confers Male Sterility in Monocots
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Protein for Treatment of Cocaine Abuse Expressed in Tobacco Leaves
From the BICs
- Pakistan Media Practitioners Trained on Science Communication
- Scientific Conference on GMO Crops
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on Marine Biotechnology
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 3, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (July 20, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: