New Act Lifts Moratorium on GM Crop Planting in Western AustraliaOctober 26, 2016
The Parliament of Western Australia has repealed the Genetically Modified Crops Free Areas Act 2003, which imposed a moratorium on the commercial cultivation of genetically modified crops (GM) in Western Australia.
Genetically Modified Crops Free Areas Repeal Act 2015 repealed the former 2003 Act, and consequently amended the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007. Part 1 of the Act will take effect on the date of the Royal Assent, and the remainder of the Act will come into operation on the day after Royal Assent.
"The repeal of the Act gives growers certainty that not only will they be able to use existing GM technologies, but they will also have access to future advancements in plant biotechnology that could improve their productivity and sustainability," said Monsanto Australia Managing Director, Tony May.
For more details, visit the website of the Parliament of Western Australia.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Team of Scientists Reveals How Plants Turn Light Switch On and Off
- Biofortification Scientists Awarded with 2016 World Food Prize in Des Moines
- Benefits of 20 Years of GE Crops in Canada
- Asian Scientists and Stakeholders Prepare for MOP 8
- New Act Lifts Moratorium on GM Crop Planting in Western Australia
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion for Market Release of GM Cotton GHB119
- Researchers Identify Gene that Influences Plant Root Development
- Scientists Identify Corn Genes in Charge of Calling for Help
- Scientists Analyze Phytoene Synthase 1 Gene Function in Wheat
- Cyanobacterial Flavodoxin Overexpression Confers Abiotic Resistance in Creeping Bentgrass
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Targeted Mutagenesis of P450 Gene Confers Male Sterility in Monocots
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Protein for Treatment of Cocaine Abuse Expressed in Tobacco Leaves
From the BICs
- Pakistan Media Practitioners Trained on Science Communication
- Scientific Conference on GMO Crops
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on Marine Biotechnology
Subscribe to CBU: