Researchers Identify Gene that Influences Plant Root DevelopmentOctober 26, 2016
Scientists at the Molecular Phytopathology Group of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany have identified the gene that controls plant root development and enables symbiosis with arbuscular mycorrhiza (AM) fungi.
Land plants live in symbiosis with AM fungi. Both sides benefit from each other: the AM fungi help plants extract nutrients, and the plants supply the AM fungi with carbohydrates produced by photosynthesis. This is the focus of the research of the KIT group headed by Professor Natalia Requena.
The scientists identified the plant gene GRAS transcription factor MIG1 (Mycorrhiza Induced GRAS 1) that is activated specifically by AM fungi. The team studied the role of MIG1 using Medicago truncatula, a snail clover species. They found that MIG1 is expressed most strongly in cells containing arbuscules. It significantly modifies root cortex development by stimulating growth of more and larger root cortex cells. They observed that the overall diameter of the roots increases considerably, while downregulation of MIG1 leads to malformed arbuscules.
For more, read the news release at the KIT website.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- International Team of Scientists Reveals How Plants Turn Light Switch On and Off
- Biofortification Scientists Awarded with 2016 World Food Prize in Des Moines
- Benefits of 20 Years of GE Crops in Canada
- Asian Scientists and Stakeholders Prepare for MOP 8
- New Act Lifts Moratorium on GM Crop Planting in Western Australia
- EFSA Publishes Scientific Opinion for Market Release of GM Cotton GHB119
- Researchers Identify Gene that Influences Plant Root Development
- Scientists Identify Corn Genes in Charge of Calling for Help
- Scientists Analyze Phytoene Synthase 1 Gene Function in Wheat
- Cyanobacterial Flavodoxin Overexpression Confers Abiotic Resistance in Creeping Bentgrass
Plant Breeding Innovations
- Targeted Mutagenesis of P450 Gene Confers Male Sterility in Monocots
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Protein for Treatment of Cocaine Abuse Expressed in Tobacco Leaves
From the BICs
- Pakistan Media Practitioners Trained on Science Communication
- Scientific Conference on GMO Crops
- ISAAA Releases New Pocket K on Marine Biotechnology
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (August 3, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (July 20, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (July 27, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: