UN Agencies Urge Transformation of Food SystemsOctober 19, 2016
The Committee on World Food Security (CFS) opened its 43rd plenary on October 17, 2016, a day after the celebration of World Food Day, poised in the wake of international agreements on new global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. The call is to forge ahead with these goals in a coordinated action to transform the world's food systems and nutrition.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Director-General José Graziano da Silva told delegates that more than half of the world population suffer from one or more forms of malnutrition, and that CFS should look for solutions for the world's food problems.
Elisabeth Rasmussen, Assistant Executive Director of the UN's World Food Program said, "We must renew our efforts to build more sustainable food systems, which are better able to withstand changing weather patterns and extreme events and respond to nutritional needs -- building resilience into our food systems, mitigating the risks, and ensuring we are more prepared for climate shocks in the future."
For more details, read the news release at the UN FAO website.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Agencies Urge Transformation of Food Systems
- 2016 Borlaug CAST Communication Award Goes to Dr. Kevin Folta
- Egypt Holds Workshop on New Biotech Applications
- Researchers Reveal Biofortification Increases Availability and Longevity of Beta-Carotene in Sorghum
- WSU Researchers Speed up Nitrogen Fixation to Boost Soybean Productivity
- New Sequencing Technology to Help Breed Climate-Tolerant Wine Grapes
- Study Finds that Adoption of GM Crops Could Improve Health of Chinese Farmers
- Mindanao Farmers and Local Agri Officials Updated on Latest Biosafety Guidelines
- Expression of HvYS1 in Rice Increases Iron Uptake and Seed Loading via Selective Iron Transport
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Complete Zika Virus Genome Sequence Isolated from Semen
From the BICs
- Scientists in Egypt Improves Oil Plants
- Women's Groups Enlightened on Modern Biotech in the Philippines
- Technical Meeting with Stakeholders on Supplementary Guidance for Allergenicity Assessment of GM Plants
- New ISAAA Infographic: Where are Biotech Crops Grown in the World?
- Stacking Sequence-Specific Nuclease-Induced Mutations Using TALENs to Improve Soybean Oil
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: