Pakistan's Punjab Seed Council Holds Approval of Bt and Non-Bt Cotton VarietiesMay 11, 2016
On May 2, 2016, Punjab Seed Council (PSC) temporarily holds the approval of 11 Bt and two non-Bt cotton seed varieties for two years due to the uncertain status of the National Bio-safety Committee (NBC) after the 18th Constitutional amendment. The new seed technology is being introduced in Pakistan not by multi-national corporations, due to non-existence of patent protection laws.
All the 29 new strain of cotton varieties i.e. BT cotton (27) and non-BT cotton (2) were developed by public and private sectors. The approval to this effect was made during the 46th meeting of PSC. The 29 cotton seed varieties included BH-178, BH-184, MNH-886, FH-114, FH-118, FH-142, PH-Lalazar, MNH-988, VH-259, VH-305, CA-12, CIM-598, CIM-599, CIM-602, CEMB-33, BS-52, IUB-13, MM-58, IUB-222, KZ-181, IR-NIAB-824, IR-NIBGE-901, IR-NIBGE-3, LEADER-1, A-555, AGC-777 and two non-BT cotton varieties, CYTO-124 and NIAB-2008.
The new cotton seed varieties would help in enhancing cotton production in the country. Cotton Commissioner Dr. Khalid Abdullah said that Pakistan cotton production for the outgoing season (2015-16) decreased by 35 percent. The previously approved Bt varieties were granted commercialization licenses by the NBC in April 2016.
Read more from Pakistan Biotechnology Information Center.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Report Shows Global Trends and Forecasts on GM Food Safety Testing Market
- University Students in Uganda Debate on Biotech and Biosafety Bill
- Researchers Discover Potential New Pathway for Plant-Based Bioproducts
- Scientists Crack Complete Genome of Carrot
- Pakistan's Punjab Seed Council Holds Approval of Bt and Non-Bt Cotton Varieties
- Genome Modifications Turn Fungal Plant Pathogen into Beneficial Organism
- Scientists Explain Why Pest Has Not Evolved Resistance to Bt Maize in EU
- DEFRA Approves The Sainsbury Laboratory's Application for Potato Field Trials
- Transcriptional Response of Overexpressing Anthranilate Synthase in Rosy Periwinkle
- Abscisic Acid and Sucrose Regulate Fruit Ripening through the ASR Transcription Factor
- The Role of Short Vegetative Phase-Orthologs in Herbaceous Perennial Gentian
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Find Link between Jumping Gene and Colon Cancer
From the BICs
- UBIC Embarks on Nation-wide Biotech Radio Campaigns
- Indonesian Gov't Officers Attend Workshop on Biosafety Assessment and Release of GE Product
- Agri Technology Seminar Concluded in Tegal, Indonesia
Subscribe to CBU: