Overexpression of AtGchI Increases Folate Precursors in Common Bean SeedsMay 4, 2016
Folate biofortification of major crops is a promising method to battle vitamin deficiency. Naty G. Ramírez Rivera and her team from Escuela de Ingeniería y Ciencias in Mexico aimed to increase folate, also known as vitamin B9, levels in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) by engineering the pathway of pteridine, a folate precursor.
The GTP cyclohydrolase I gene (AtGchI) from Arabidopsis thaliana was isolated and expressed in three common bean cultivars. Seed-specific overexpression of AtGCHI caused significant enhancement of pteridines in the transgenic lines. The pteridine increase resulted in higher folate levels in raw seeds. The overexpression also triggered an increase in PABA levels, another folate precursor. This was probably caused by a separate, still obscure mechanism.
For more information on the study, read the full article on Plant Biotechnology Journal.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- From Plant to Crop: The Past, Present, and Future of Plant Breeding
- Uganda's Farmers & Youths Petition Parliament to Pass the Biosafety Bill into Law
- ISAAA Report on Biotech Crops Launched in Burkina Faso
- Scientists Use Nanoparticles to Boost Crop Growth with Reduced Fertilizer
- Texas AgriLife Scientists Study 'War of Plants'
- Prion-like Protein Found in Plants
- Researchers Discover Plant Mechanism that Regulates Flowering in Warm Temperatures
- Plant Biotech Continues to Gain Ground in the Philippines
- Scientists Develop New Gene-Detecting Technology that Could Bring Super Wheat
- Bt Toxin Has No Effects on Survival, Pollen Consumption, or Learning of Honey Bees
- Overexpression of AtGchI Increases Folate Precursors in Common Bean Seeds
Beyond Crop Biotech
- The Herring Genome Provides Insight on How Species Adapt to the Environment
From the BICs
- UBIC-NARO Showcases Information on Modern Biotech at Agribiz Expo
- Policy Makers Attend Biotech and Biosafety Sensitization Seminar Burkina Faso
- Banana Research in Africa: Modern Breeding Techniques, Regulatory and Biosafety Issues
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (December 7, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: