4th Public Consultation Held for Revised GM Regulatory Guidelines in the PhilippinesFebruary 10, 2016
The National Committee on Biosafety of the Philippines (NCBP) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) organized a fourth Public Consultation for the crafting of the Joint Department Circular titled "Rules and Regulations for the Research and Development, Handling and Use, Transboundary Movement, Release into the Environment and Management of Plant and Plant Products Derived from the Use of Modern Biotechnology" on February 9, 2016 at the DA main office in Quezon City. The Government's Department of Agriculture (DA), Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Department of Health, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government jointly crafted the new circular in line with the decision of the Supreme Court declaring null and void the previously used guidelines of the DA Administrative Order No. 8.
Chairman of the Technical Working Group for the Joint Department Circular Dr. Jaime Montoya said that they remain open to comments of all sectors, whatever their stand is on the content of the said guidelines. Meanwhile, Mr. Rod Bioco of the Philippine Maize Federation, Inc. expressed his request for the government to fast-track the passing of the Joint Department Circular so as to not disrupt the planting of biotech corn. "The next harvest is just around the corner. Our farmers are very happy with the benefits of this (GM) technology," he said.
Three other public consultations were also held in January 2016 for stakeholders in the different island groups in the country (Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao). The document is tentatively targeted to be signed by the Department Secretaries on February 23.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Naturally Occurring Plant Enzyme to Increase Wheat Yields
- "Molecular Memory" Helps Plants Remember Daylight During Winter
- Study Explains How Corn Plants Fight Off Simultaneous Attacks
- Ancient Gene Network Helps Plants Adapt to Their Environments
- Charu Mayee Awarded "Majha Sheti Sanman Puraskar"
- Punjab Seed Council Approves New Seedless Citrus
- 4th Public Consultation Held for Revised GM Regulatory Guidelines in the Philippines
- Vitamin B6 Role in Plants Discovered
- Scientists Uncover Signalling Pathway of Long-Established Immune Receptor
- Comparative Analysis of Cotton Near Isogenic Lines Reveal Genes Related to High Fiber Strength
- Metabolic Engineering of Terpene Biosynthesis using a Transcription Factor MsYABBY5 from Spearmint
- Development of a Novel Transgenic Cotton to Control Bollworm
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Identify Genetic Makeup of Dangerous E. coli Strains
- WSU Researchers Discover How a Helpful Protein Can also Cause Cancer
From the BICs
- Philippine and Thailand BICs Join Cornell Alliance for Science Asia Leadership Course
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 22, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 15, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: