Metabolic Engineering of Terpene Biosynthesis using a Transcription Factor MsYABBY5 from SpearmintFebruary 10, 2016
In aromatic plants like spearmint (Mentha spicata), secondary metabolite production happens in specialized structures called peltate glandular trichomes (PGT). These secondary metabolites are exploited as flavors, fragrances and pharmaceuticals. However, knowledge about transcription factors (TFs) that regulate secondary metabolism in PGT remains elusive.
Scientists led by Qian Wang of the National University of Singapore aim to study the role of TFs in secondary metabolism pathway in hopes of metabolic engineering for increased yield of secondary metabolites. The team isolated and characterized a novel MsYABBY5 gene that is expressed in PGT of spearmint. Transgenic plants with overexpressed and silenced MsYABBY5 were then generated.
Analysis of the transgenic lines showed that the reduced expression of MsYABBY5 led to increased levels of terpenes while overexpression decreased terpene levels. Moreover, expression of MsYABBY5 in Ocimum basilicum and Nicotiana sylvestris decreased their secondary metabolite production, suggesting that the transcription factor is a repressor of secondary metabolism.
For more on the study, read the full article in Plant Biotechnology Journal.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Naturally Occurring Plant Enzyme to Increase Wheat Yields
- "Molecular Memory" Helps Plants Remember Daylight During Winter
- Study Explains How Corn Plants Fight Off Simultaneous Attacks
- Ancient Gene Network Helps Plants Adapt to Their Environments
- Charu Mayee Awarded "Majha Sheti Sanman Puraskar"
- Punjab Seed Council Approves New Seedless Citrus
- 4th Public Consultation Held for Revised GM Regulatory Guidelines in the Philippines
- Vitamin B6 Role in Plants Discovered
- Scientists Uncover Signalling Pathway of Long-Established Immune Receptor
- Comparative Analysis of Cotton Near Isogenic Lines Reveal Genes Related to High Fiber Strength
- Metabolic Engineering of Terpene Biosynthesis using a Transcription Factor MsYABBY5 from Spearmint
- Development of a Novel Transgenic Cotton to Control Bollworm
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Researchers Identify Genetic Makeup of Dangerous E. coli Strains
- WSU Researchers Discover How a Helpful Protein Can also Cause Cancer
From the BICs
- Philippine and Thailand BICs Join Cornell Alliance for Science Asia Leadership Course
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (January 25, 2023)
- Genome Editing Supplement (January 18, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (January 25, 2023)
Subscribe to CBU: