Former Biotech Critic/Journalist Authors Science-based Book on GM CropsNovember 11, 2015
The book "Extreme Misunderstanding of GM Crops", the first science based publication on GM crops was recently released in Japanese by Mr. Masami Kojima. Mr. Kojima was an active anti-GM newspaper reporter of The Mainichi, one of the three most popular newspapers in Japan. The book documents scientific information and benefits of GM crops from credible scientific studies, as well as accounts of his "seeing and believing" trip, and observations of farmer fields and laboratories in the USA. Mr. Kojima apologized for his previous anti-GMO stance and acknowledged that he was wrong in writing and talking about GM crops, without knowing and understanding the truth about the technology.
The book also criticizes the media and academia in Japan that have been disseminating wrong information, and urged them to tell stories based on science and not on politics. Views and opinions of various stakeholders including farmers, local and foreign, are also included highlighting the importance of science-based understanding of GM crops as well as safety tests of crops and foods derived from them. This is most useful in Japan where biotech crops acceptance is still a problem.
For further details, see the original article at Blogos. The book can be purchased through Amazon. For information on biotechnology in Japan contact Nippon Biotechnology Information Center Director, Dr. Fusao Tomita, at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Ghana High Court Rules in Favor of Biotech
- GE Cassava to Address Vitamin B6 Deficiency in Africa
- Boosting Plant Alert System to Counter Stealthy Diseases
- Genome Sequencing Project Sheds Light on Date Palm's Origin
- Tobacco Traded its Immunity to Survive Harsh Environments
- Former Biotech Critic/Journalist Authors Science-based Book on GM Crops
- Research Team Discovers How Plants Defend their Territory with Toxic Substances
- Poppy Genes Transferred to Different Plants to Prevent Self-Pollination
- JIC Scientists Develop Tomatoes Rich in Phytochemicals
- Plant Discovery Leads to Treatment of Leukemia
- Conventional Backcrossing Practices Affect Grain Composition of GE Maize Hybrids
- TaNAC29 from Wheat Enhances Salt and Drought Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Tobacco NsylCBL10 Overexpression Enhances Salt Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Expression of RsMYB1 in Chrysanthemum Regulates Anthocyanin Biosynthetic Genes
From the BICs
- Vietnam BIC Holds Biotech Crops Seminar in Quang Ninh Province
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: