TaNAC29 from Wheat Enhances Salt and Drought Tolerance in ArabidopsisNovember 11, 2015
NAC (NAM, ATAF, and CUC) transcription factors plays important roles in plant biological processes, including plant development, and stress responses. Researchers led by Quanjun Huang and Yan Wang of Huazhong University of Science and Technology in China recently investigated the functions of NAC transcription factor of wheat (Triticum aestivum).
The NAC transcription factor gene from wheat, TaNAC29, was introduced in Arabidopsis. TaNAC29-overexpressing plants were then subjected to salt and drought stresses to examine gene functions. Transgenic plants exhibited enhanced tolerances to both salinity and dehydration.
In the greenhouse, transgenics also showed the same tolerance response to salt and drought stresses at both the vegetative and reproductive period, and had delayed bolting and flowering. The results show that TaNAC29 plays important roles in plant responses to salt and drought stresses.
To learn more about the study, read the full article in BMC Plant Biology.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Ghana High Court Rules in Favor of Biotech
- GE Cassava to Address Vitamin B6 Deficiency in Africa
- Boosting Plant Alert System to Counter Stealthy Diseases
- Genome Sequencing Project Sheds Light on Date Palm's Origin
- Tobacco Traded its Immunity to Survive Harsh Environments
- Former Biotech Critic/Journalist Authors Science-based Book on GM Crops
- Research Team Discovers How Plants Defend their Territory with Toxic Substances
- Poppy Genes Transferred to Different Plants to Prevent Self-Pollination
- JIC Scientists Develop Tomatoes Rich in Phytochemicals
- Plant Discovery Leads to Treatment of Leukemia
- Conventional Backcrossing Practices Affect Grain Composition of GE Maize Hybrids
- TaNAC29 from Wheat Enhances Salt and Drought Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Tobacco NsylCBL10 Overexpression Enhances Salt Tolerance in Arabidopsis
- Expression of RsMYB1 in Chrysanthemum Regulates Anthocyanin Biosynthetic Genes
From the BICs
- Vietnam BIC Holds Biotech Crops Seminar in Quang Ninh Province
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (September 28, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (September 21, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (September 28, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: