OsNF-YA7 Transcription Factor Confers Drought Stress Tolerance in RiceNovember 4, 2015
In rice, Nuclear Factor Y (NF-Y) transcription factors have aroused interest due to its roles in plant drought stress responses. However, the mechanism of the NF-Y-induced drought tolerance is not well understood. Dong-Keun Lee and other researchers from the Seoul National University in South Korea aimed to study these mechanisms.
The researchers analyzed two rice NF-YA genes, OsNF-YA7 and OsNF-YA4. Expression of OsNF-YA7 was induced by drought stress and its overexpression in transgenic rice plants improved their drought tolerance. In contrast, OsNF-YA4 was not induced by drought stress and its overexpression did not affect the plants' sensitivity to drought stress.
Analysis also identified 48 genes downstream of OsNFYA7 involved in the OsNF-YA7-mediated drought tolerance pathway. These results suggest an important role for OsNF-YA7 in rice drought stress tolerance.
For more information, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- AfDB Approves Loan to Promote Science and Technology in Angola
- Scientists Uncover How Plants Thrive Using Natural Mechanism to Recycle Chloroplasts
- BTI Scientists Develop New Technique to Boost Beta-carotene in Tubers
- Pineapple Genome Unlocked; Gives Insight into Photosynthesis in Drought Tolerant Plants
- China's Seed Law Amended
- Australian Researchers Discover Key Gene to Improve Barley's Drought Tolerance
- European Parliament Rejects National GMO Bans Proposal
- GhACL5 Gene is Involved in Stem Elongation and Plant Defense Response to Verticillium dahliae
- AtRAV1 and AtRAV2 Overexpression in Cotton Increases Fiber Length and Delays Flowering under Drought Stress
- Promoter Difference of LcFT1 is the Cause of Natural Variation of Flowering in Litchi
- OsNF-YA7 Transcription Factor Confers Drought Stress Tolerance in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Metabolic Engineering of Pichia pastoris for the Production of Dammarenediol-II
From the BICs
- Agri Extension Service Providers in Uganda Hone Biotech Communication Skills
- UBIC Conducts Maiden Forum on Agri-biotech at Bukalasa Agricultural College
- New Pocket K: Coexistence of Biotech and Non-biotech Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 24, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: