Promoter Difference of LcFT1 is the Cause of Natural Variation of Flowering in LitchiNovember 4, 2015
Litchi (Litchi chinensis) is an important fruit with high commercial value. However, unstable flowering is a major problem for producers. Aviad Freiman of the Agricultural Research Organization in Israel, together with colleagues, studied litchi flowering to better understand its mechanisms.
The team identified two FLOWERING LOCUS T (FT) homologue genes named LcFT1 and LcFT2. The team found that low temperature could only induce LcFT1 expression in leaves, but not LcFT2 expression. Expression of LcFT1 in tobacco and Arabidopsis induced flowering, indicating the role of LcFT1 in litchi floral induction by low temperature.
The team also found two types of LcFT1 promoters in different litchi cultivars, promoters for early-flowering cultivars and those for the late-flowering cultivars. The promoters in early-flowering cultivars were found more sensitive to low temperature.
For more on the study, read the article in Plant Science.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- AfDB Approves Loan to Promote Science and Technology in Angola
- Scientists Uncover How Plants Thrive Using Natural Mechanism to Recycle Chloroplasts
- BTI Scientists Develop New Technique to Boost Beta-carotene in Tubers
- Pineapple Genome Unlocked; Gives Insight into Photosynthesis in Drought Tolerant Plants
- China's Seed Law Amended
- Australian Researchers Discover Key Gene to Improve Barley's Drought Tolerance
- European Parliament Rejects National GMO Bans Proposal
- GhACL5 Gene is Involved in Stem Elongation and Plant Defense Response to Verticillium dahliae
- AtRAV1 and AtRAV2 Overexpression in Cotton Increases Fiber Length and Delays Flowering under Drought Stress
- Promoter Difference of LcFT1 is the Cause of Natural Variation of Flowering in Litchi
- OsNF-YA7 Transcription Factor Confers Drought Stress Tolerance in Rice
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Metabolic Engineering of Pichia pastoris for the Production of Dammarenediol-II
From the BICs
- Agri Extension Service Providers in Uganda Hone Biotech Communication Skills
- UBIC Conducts Maiden Forum on Agri-biotech at Bukalasa Agricultural College
- New Pocket K: Coexistence of Biotech and Non-biotech Crops
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: