3,000 Rice Genomes Data Available on the AWS CloudSeptember 30, 2015
The International Rice Research Institute announced that the 3,000 Rice Genomes Project (3K RGP) has successfully sequenced 3,024 rice varieties from 89 countries. This big data is a massive source of information for understanding the natural genetic variation in rice and for discovery of novel genes linked to economically important traits. It is expected that this project will help speed up the development of better rice varieties to provide food for the growing world population. The desirable traits for improvement in rice include nutritional quality, tolerance to pest and diseases, resistance to flood and drought, and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
The 3K RGP is a collaboration of three research institutions — IRRI, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS), and the Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI) Shenzhen. Majority (82%) of the rice varieties with sequenced genomes are housed in the IRRI gene bank, while the remaining portion (18%) is in CAAS gene bank. The results are available online for free as an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Public Data Set.
"The great thing about the release of this dataset is that it is immediately useable," said Dr. Kenneth McNally, senior scientist at IRRI. "It comes with tools to help researchers visualize and analyze genetic information," he added.
Read the news release from IRRI for more information.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- U.S. and China Commit to Further Improve Biotech Approval Process
- Syrian War Prompts First Withdrawal of Seeds from Svalbard Global Seed Vault
- 3,000 Rice Genomes Data Available on the AWS Cloud
- Zambia Hosts Africa Green Revolution Forum 2015
- Argentine Government Seeks Citizen Opinion on New GE Crops
- Scientists Reveal Why Black Rice is Black
- USDA APHIS Opens Public Comment Period for GE Wheat Field Trials
- South Australia Farmers Call for Permission to Grow GE Crops
- Stakeholders from Africa Visit Bt Cotton Fields in India
- Scientists Develop Rice with High Folate Stability
- A Vernalization Pathway Gene from Soybean Promotes Flowering in Arabidopsis
- Expression of Genes Associated with Drought Traits Improves Drought Adaptation in Peanut
- GE Tomato Expressing Bacterial Gene XnGroEL Shows Enhanced Resistance to Armyworm and Abiotic Stresses
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Scientists Crack Genomes of Microscopic Worms Vital for Agri
- New Publication: 50 Biotech Bites
Read the latest:
- Crop Biotech Update (November 23, 2022)
- Genome Editing Supplement (November 23, 2022)
- Gene Drive Supplement (October 26, 2022)
Subscribe to CBU: