Overexpression of RCH10 chitinase Gene in Lilium Confers Resistance to Botrytis cinereaMarch 11, 2015
Lilium is one of the major bulb crops in the world and is a major part of the ornamentals industry. The fungus Botrytis causes extreme economic losses to a wide range of crops, including Lilium. The success of the ornamentals industry depends on the introduction of new individuals with key characteristics, such as disease resistance.
University of Nottingham's Francisco F. Núñez de Cáceres González and Zoe A. Wilson used Agrobacterium-mediated transformation to develop Lilium oriental cv. ‘Star Gazer' plants overexpressing the Rice Chitinase 10 gene (RCH10). Levels of conferred resistance linked to chitinase expression were evaluated by infection with Botrytis cinerea. The trangenic plants showed resistance to Botrytis. The resistance also showed a direct correlation with chitinase gene expression. Moreover, transgenic plants grown to flowering showed no detrimental phenotypic effects associated with transgene expression.
This is the first report on Lilium with resistance to Botrytis cinerea developed through a transgenic approach.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- UN Leaders: Women Farmers Key to Achieving Food and Nutrition Security
- GM Soybean Oil Identical to Conventional Soybean Oil
- Researcher Develops Strategy to Improve Crops and Treat Diseases
- Scientists Promote Production of Enzyme for Plant Growth
- Developing Cesium Tolerance in Plants
- MSU Prof Highlights Genomics Application in Agri
- Gene for Amylose Synthesis Identified
- Researchers Report Climate Change Influence on Food Safety
- S&T Committee Urges Change to EU Rules for GM Crops
- Arabidopsis PLAT-Domain Protein1 Promotes Abiotic Stress Tolerance in Tobacco
- OeAOX2 gene Linked to Rooting Ability of Olive Cuttings
- Overexpression of RCH10 chitinase Gene in Lilium Confers Resistance to Botrytis cinerea
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Mobile Gamers to Help Find Cure for Cancer
- The Plant Genomics Congress (Asia)
- 7th Asia Pacific Biotech Congress
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: