Researchers Map Several QTLs for Maize Gray Leaf Spot ResistanceSeptember 3, 2014
Gray leaf spot (GLS) caused by some Cercospora species is a devastating maize disease. The cultivation of GLS-resistant hybrids is the most efficient way to control this disease. However, GLS resistance is a quantitatively inherited trait. Researchers led by Mingliang Xu of China Agricultural University now aim to map and characterize the quantitative trait loci (QTLs) for GLS resistance.
A major GLS resistance QTL, qRgls2, was previously detected in the centromere of chromosome 5. By using advanced backcross populations from the cross of the resistant and a susceptible line, a recombinant-derived progeny testing was done to fine map qRgls2. The region of qRgls2 was narrowed further, flanked by markers G346 and DD11.
The qRgls2 gene showed additive effects and significantly increased the resistance across multiple generations. A total of 15 genes were predicted in the mapped region. It is assumed that qRgls2 could be widely used to improve maize resistance to GLS.
To learn more on this particular study, visit: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/s12870-014-0230-6.pdf
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Cornell Launches Global Initiative for Science-based Communication on Agri-biotech
- Swaziland Minister Encourages Farmers to Accept Biotech Crops
- Water 'Thermostat' Gene Could Help Develop Drought Resistant Crops
- India's Agri Minister Pitches for Biotech Crops to Achieve Second Green Revolution
- Vietnam Grants Licenses to Four GM Corn Varieties
- FSAI Head Says Europe Must Put Aside Fears of GM Technology
- Mutated BRI1 in Uzu Barley Can Provide Disease Resistance
- Researchers Map Several QTLs for Maize Gray Leaf Spot Resistance
- Scientists Evaluate Insect Resistant Plants Expressing Spider Venom Toxin (Hvt)
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Uppsala University Researchers Release Sequence of Honeybees' Genome
- Researchers Use Tobacco Plants to Combat Ebola Outbreak
From the BICs
- Seminar on Socio-Economic Considerations on Agri-biotech Concludes in Bogor, Indonesia
- RTD for Media Practitioners in Jakarta "A Tribute to the 69th Anniversary of the Republic of Indonesia from Biotechnology Community"
- World Congress on Root and Tuber Crops
- Next Generation Sequencing Technologies for Crop Improvement Course
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (September 20, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (September 13, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: