BARI DG Faced the Media on Bt Brinjal CommercializationApril 2, 2014
Dr. Md. Rafiqul Islam Mondal, Director General of Bangladesh Agricultural Institute explained in a press conference last March12, 2014 the development and deployment of Bt brinjal (eggplant) in Bangladesh. Dr. Mondal explained that the scientist team from Bangladesh Agricultural Institute (BARI) along with Mahyco-Monsanto have developed 9 varieties of Bt Brinjal and back crossed with its respective Bangladeshi varieties in 2005. BARI, a government institute received the gene from the development partners royalty free on the condition that the improved brinjal will be distributed among the farmers for free.Selected lines were tested for fruit and shoot borer resistance in the glasshouse, confined/contained field trial, multilocational trial and the final yield trial following stringent regulatory process of the International Cartagena Biosafety Protocol and the Gazetted Biosafety Guideline of Bangladesh. Finally, the Ministry of Environment and Forests approved the release of four varieties.
Around100 journalists and scientists participated in the discussion which focused on biosafety, biodiversity and the environment effects of Bt eggplant. BARI assured the media that they will conduct close monitoring of the performance and safety of the biotech crop.
For inquiries on the media conference and biotechnology status in Bangladesh,contact Prof. Dr. Khondoker Nasiruddin at email@example.com.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- New International Partnership Aims to Increase Wheat Yields
- ISAAA Report on GM Crops Launched in Burkina Faso, South Africa, and Kenya
- Uganda Launches 2013 Global Status Report
- UN Announces First Countries Set to Benefit from African-Led Food Security Fund
- FAO DG: Africa's Youth Key to Strengthening Agricultural Economy
- ACSH Releases New Publication on GM Food
- Engineered Bacteria Produce Biofuel Alternative for Rocket Fuel
- Philippine DA Regulators and Crop Researchers Train on Biotech Communication
- Vietnam's Regulatory Circular to Take Effect
- GEAC Allows Field Trials of 11 New Varieties of Biotech Crops in India
- BARI DG Faced the Media on Bt Brinjal Commercialization
- ISAAA Produces Infographic on "7 Wonders of Bt Cotton"
- Scientists Identify Sugar Transporter for Nectar Production
- GOLDEN2-LIKE Transcription factors: Keys to Tomato Development
- Genetic Analysis of Verticillium Wilt Resistance in Biotech Cotton
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Study Finds Math Anxiety Can be Due to Genetic Factors
- OSU Scientists Discover Protein Linked to Spread of Breast Cancer Cells
- Synthetic Biology Congress
- World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology
Top Ten Facts on Global Biotech/GM Crops 2013 in 52 Languages
Subscribe to CBU: