RNA Fragments From Microvesicle Can be Used for Cancer DiagnosisFebruary 6, 2013
Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital discovered that strands of information preserved on microvesicles called exosomes may help detect and monitor progession of several types of cancers. Instead of conducting multiple biopsies, which could be life-threatening, new exosomal diagnostic tests can be done.
Through the new tests, the exosomes from bio-fluids can be used to extract information on the genetic changes that occurred. Once the specific cancer mutation is known, additional bio-fluids can be collected at certain periods of time to monitor mutation levels as well as the patient's response to therapy.
Read the original article at http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=rna-fragments-may-yield-rapid.
The Crop Biotech Update is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a non-for-profit organization. The CBU is distributed for free to over 23,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in agricultural biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Partnership to Boost Africa's Ag Research
- US-Indian Project to Develop Improved Pigeonpea Cultivars
- Burkina Faso's Cotton Output Increases by 57% due to GM
- Tanzania Hosts Key International Forum on Plant Viral Diseases
- Ghana's Minister Suggests the Use of GMOs to Boost Country's Food Security
- Nigeria to Host UNN Biotechnology Summit
- Research Shows New Means to Boost Maize Yields
- Costa Rica Approves GM Corn Cultivation
- Draft of Chile Genomic Sequence Completed, Hope to Improve Chile Breeds
- Two Seasons of Golden Rice Trials in the Philippines Completed
- Iloilo Agri Extension Officers Get Updates on Crop Biotech
- Philippine Policy Makers Recognize Local Biotech Researches and Products
- Survey on Extension Officials' Awareness on Bt Brinjal
- Students Visit Biotech Institutes in Bangladesh
- Korea Approves GM Corn Stacks for Importation
- GM Tobacco Produces Antibodies for Possible Rabies Treatment
- BASF Stops EU Approval Bid for GM Potatoes
- Comparison of Agrobacterium and Particle Bombardment for Dev't of High-expressing, Low-copy Transgenic Plants
- Expression of Aquaporin gene in Salt-stressed Rice Pre-treated with Dopamine
Beyond Crop Biotech
- RNA Fragments From Microvesicle Can be Used for Cancer Diagnosis
- Manipulation of Mosquito Gut Bacteria to Fight Mosquito-Borne Diseases
- Developing Soybean Cultivars, a Video Presentation
Subscribe to CBU: