Comparison of Nutritional Compositions of High Iron Rice and Indica RiceJanuary 23, 2013
Polished rice contains low amounts of iron, an essential micronutrient in human nutrition. Thus, Dipak Gayen of the University of Calcutta and colleagues developed a biotech rice variety with high iron content by inserting ferritin gene from soybean into the genome of indica rice (IR68144). After transformation, they compared the nutritional content of the brown and milled rice grain with the non-transgenic counterpart.
Results showed that the transgenic rice seeds had increased levels of iron and zinc, and the other nutritional values are substantially equivalent with that of the non-transgenic rice seeds. Thus, the transgenic rice is safe for human consumption and could be a good source of iron.
Read more about the results of the study at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0308814612017979.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Head and German Minister Call for Eradication of Hunger through Agri Investments
- Cheaper, Efficient Tool for Barley Genotyping Launched
- NRCRI to Apply Biotech on Cassava Improvement
- Experts to Nigeria: Don't Neglect Agri Biotechnology
- New Strategic Partnership to Advance S&T Agenda for African Agriculture
- Biotech Guaranteed US$100K to Average Brazilian Corn Growers in Four Years
- Pakistan Leaders Cite Need for Biotech
- Zeigler: Pstol1's Application to other Crops May Have a Great Impact on Global Agriculture
- TOT Workshop on Potato Breeding in Indonesia
- 61% of Greek Farmers Willing to Adopt GM Maize, Study Reveals
- U.K. Consumer Attitudes Study on GM Labeling
- Rethinking GMOs, Biotech Industry Encourages Europeans to Engage
- Review on the Agronomic and Environmental Impacts of GM Crops
- EFSA Explains Risks Posed by Neonicotinoid Insecticides to Bees
- Comparison of Nutritional Compositions of High Iron Rice and Indica Rice
- Expression of ADA in Biotech Tobacco Plants
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GE Salmon Draft Environmental Assessment Released
- Connivance of Genes and their Regulatory 'Tags' in Dev't of Immune Disorder
- Bioversity Int'l Releases Descriptors for Tree Tomato and its Wild Relatives
- IndoBIC and ABSP II Launch Book on Potato Breeding in Indonesia
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: