Pakistan Leaders Cite Need for BiotechJanuary 23, 2013
Ahmad Ali Aulakh, Provincial Minister for Agriculture in Pakistan, said that the government is providing resources for the promotion of biotechnology. He stressed the government support for biotech during a seminar organized by the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI). The minister said that "Since more than 60 percent of the country's exports belong to agriculture, biotechnology is of prime importance".
LCCI President Farooq Iftikhar also noted the enormous potential of biotechnology in Pakistan. "It is rightly said that the 21st century belongs to biotechnology. It is really unfortunate that no significant work has been done in Pakistan in this field."
The full article is at http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-3-147941-LCCI-organises-seminar-on-biotechnology and http://www.pabic.com.pk/Government%20wants%20to%20spend%20on%20Biotechnology.html.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- FAO Head and German Minister Call for Eradication of Hunger through Agri Investments
- Cheaper, Efficient Tool for Barley Genotyping Launched
- NRCRI to Apply Biotech on Cassava Improvement
- Experts to Nigeria: Don't Neglect Agri Biotechnology
- New Strategic Partnership to Advance S&T Agenda for African Agriculture
- Biotech Guaranteed US$100K to Average Brazilian Corn Growers in Four Years
- Pakistan Leaders Cite Need for Biotech
- Zeigler: Pstol1's Application to other Crops May Have a Great Impact on Global Agriculture
- TOT Workshop on Potato Breeding in Indonesia
- 61% of Greek Farmers Willing to Adopt GM Maize, Study Reveals
- U.K. Consumer Attitudes Study on GM Labeling
- Rethinking GMOs, Biotech Industry Encourages Europeans to Engage
- Review on the Agronomic and Environmental Impacts of GM Crops
- EFSA Explains Risks Posed by Neonicotinoid Insecticides to Bees
- Comparison of Nutritional Compositions of High Iron Rice and Indica Rice
- Expression of ADA in Biotech Tobacco Plants
Beyond Crop Biotech
- GE Salmon Draft Environmental Assessment Released
- Connivance of Genes and their Regulatory 'Tags' in Dev't of Immune Disorder
- Bioversity Int'l Releases Descriptors for Tree Tomato and its Wild Relatives
- IndoBIC and ABSP II Launch Book on Potato Breeding in Indonesia
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: