MARDI Introduces Fragrant Paddy Strain Code named MRQ 76October 3, 2012
The Malaysian Research and Agriculture Development Institute (MARDI) has produced a third variety fragrant paddy strain, code named MRQ 76, to reduce the country's import of fragrant rice. Agriculture and Agro Based Industry Minister Datuk Seri Noh Omar said the achievement was in tandem with the Economic Initiation Project (EPP) 9 of the National Key Economic Area (NKEA) to develop fragrant paddy output. He said the country imported 30 percent of the rice consumed from abroad and 25 percent of it was high quality rice such as fragrant rice and basmati that are sold at a high price compared with rice produced locally.
"So under the EPP 9, we encourage the development of fragrant and hybrid rice so it could be cultivated here to reduce the import from abroad," the minister told reporters after announcing the new paddy at Laman Padi, Maeps.
For more information about biotechnology in Malaysia, email Mahaletchumy Arujanan of the Malaysian Biotechnology Information Center at email@example.com.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- World Meeting on LMO Biosafety Opens in Hyderabad, India
- World Bank Grant to Foster Technical Cooperation on Biosafety
- Researchers Develop Drought-Resistant Tea
- Scientists Cite Ways to Eradicate Bacterial Blight in Africa
- Kenyan Public Health Officers Trained on Communicating Biosafety
- Scientists Use Gene Silencing Technique to Control Parasitic Plants
- Scientists Update on Vitamin B Pathway in Plants
- Stacked Biotech Soybean Approved in Uruguay
- Scientists Work on New Rice Drought-Proofing Method
- Filipino Farmers Revitalize its Commitment Towards Agri-productivity
- Bangladesh Biosafety Rules in Gazette
- MARDI Introduces Fragrant Paddy Strain Code named MRQ 76
- Scientific Seminar on Genetically Modified Crops in Vietnam
- Improved Tool for Multigene Transformation in Plants
- Improvement of Vitamin E Content in Plants Through Chloroplast GE
- Arabidopsis NPR1-expressing Cotton Shows Enhanced Resistance to Black Root Rot
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Blue Light Controls Gene Expression
- GMOs in the Pipeline, an FAO e-mail conference
- CGIAR Publishes Book on its Institutional Evolution
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (November 29, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: