Pakistan Prepares White Paper on AgricultureSeptember 15, 2011
The Pakistan Academy of Sciences (PAS) said that the Pakistan agricultural sector is faced with management system flaws that is causing a regular decline in the per acre yield of its crops. It thus formed a committee of agricultural experts to put together a white paper on challenges faced by the agricultural sector in Pakistan.
"A crisp, comprehensive document providing clear guidelines needs to be prepared, given the importance of agriculture to the national economy," observed the committee in its first meeting." We are preparing a report with special emphasis on management issues and a workable proposal for radical changes in the sector," said Dr. Iqrar Ahmad Khan, Vice Chancellor University of Agriculture Faisalabad (UAF) and convener of the PAS agricultural committee.
Recommendations to improve the sector include technical as well as financial support, strengthening of agricultural education and research, revision of syllabi for agricultural education, and market-oriented human resource in the country, Khan added.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Global Food Security and Governance of Modern Biotech
- Scientists Set out Roadmap to Improve Yield Potential of Rice
- Need to Strengthen R&D in Nigeria's Value Chain of Agricultural Commodities
- "Climate-smart" Agriculture for Africa
- Commercial Enzyme for Improved Grain Ethanol Production
- US Plant Researchers Meet to Move Towards the Same Direction
- Vast Differences Between Asian Rice Subpopulations, Study Finds
- Rotation to Reduce Glyphosate-Resistant Weeds
- Consumers Willing to Pay Premium for Healthier Genetically Modified Foods: ISU Study
- Developing True Breeds of Cassava, Banana and Plantain
- Pakistan Prepares White Paper on Agriculture
- Bangladesh: 42nd Signatory to the Nagoya Protocol
- Boost for High Rainfall Zone Wheat Research
- Towards the Biological Control of Diamondback Moth
- Pakistan and Iran Sign MOU
- France Ban on GM Cultivation Illegal Says European Court of Justice
- Honey and Food Supplements Containing Pollen from GMO
- Constitutive Overexpression of the OsNAS Genes for Iron- and Zinc-Biofortification of Rice
- Enhancing Gene Expression in GE Rice Seed Using 3'-UTRs
- Influence of Field Size on Maize Gene Flow Using SSR Analysis
Beyond Crop Biotech
- Bees As Environmental Monitors
- Social Network and Gut Bacteria Database in One
- Studies on Transgenic Domestic Cat Help Understand AIDS
- International Conference on Tropical and Sub-tropical Plant Diseases 2012
- European Congress on Biotechnology Set for 2012
- 2012 Lorne Genome Conference
- Corn Rust Webcasts Launched in ‘Focus on Corn'
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (February 21, 2024)
- Gene Editing Supplement (February 14, 2024)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: