GM and Hybrid Corn Technologies Enhance Productivity and Resource Efficiency in the PhilippinesDecember 3, 2010
Filipino agricultural economist Dr. Leonardo Gonzales will soon publish the results of his study which indicates that the introduction of hybrid and genetically modified (GM) corn technologies contributed to the productivity and resource use efficiency in the corn subsector.
Dr. Gonzales said that "the analysis on productivity and sustainability using trends and the production function approach showed that there has been productivity and resource use efficiency improvements in total corn production during the last 35 years due to the introduction of different seed technologies in the form of hybrid corn seeds and GM yellow corn seeds with improved agronomic traits."
From 1995 to 2009, the cumulative corn production of 4.1 million mt increased to 7.0 million mt, with a 31% growth rate from 1995 to 2000, and 33.4% growth rate from 2005 to 2009, due to hybridization and start of Bt corn commercialization in the Philippines in 2002.
For more information, read the press release at http://www.pia.gov.ph/?m=12&fi=p101130.htm&no=27.
Biotech Updates is a weekly newsletter of ISAAA, a not-for-profit organization. It is distributed for free to over 22,000 subscribers worldwide to inform them about the key developments in biosciences, especially in biotechnology. Your support will help us in our mission to feed the world with knowledge. You can help by donating as little as $10.
See more articles:
News from Around the World
- Conclusions of the Study Week on Biotech Crops and Food Security hosted by the PAS
- IRRI Launches Rice Food Security Campaign
- Sixth Set of CBU Knowledge Campaign Winners
- Studies Reveal Impact of Quality Protein Maize in the Growth of Ethiopian Children
- Scientists Use Fluorescent Genes to Trace Honey Fungus
- Embrapa to Launch Potato Resistant to Late Blight
- Plant Clock Gene Also Works in Human Cells
- Marker-assisted Breeding Project for Abiotic Stress-tolerant Varieties Starts in India
- President of India visits International Research Center
- GM and Hybrid Corn Technologies Enhance Productivity and Resource Efficiency in the Philippines
- Philippine Local Biotechnologies Showcased in Biotech Week Contest
- Philippine Media Plays Key Role in Public Understanding of Biotechnology
- Jose Burgos Jr. Biotech Awards Honors Filipino Science Journalists, Launches Trust Fund
- Scientists Call For Transgenic Events' IP Protection in China
- Eyespot Breakthrough Welcomed
- Crop Science Projects Drive Benefits for Farming, Food Security and UK Economy
- Breeding of Potatoes Producing Novel Starches with Improved Properties
- Cyanobacterial Flavodoxin Induces Stress Tolerance in Medicago truncatula
- Scientists Use Virus-induced Gene Silencing in Studying Aphid Resistance in Wheat
- Pollen- and Seed-Mediated Transgene Flow in Commercial Cotton Seed Production Fields
- CropWorld North America in North Carolina
- Feeding the World: The Top 100 Questions for Global Agriculture
Read the latest:
- Biotech Updates (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Editing Supplement (May 31, 2023)
- Gene Drive Supplement (February 22, 2023)
Subscribe to BU: